1959 Epiphone Outfit Project “Fiddy9”

Zero

Reaction score
So here it is. I went to the local box shop about a week ago and played a pair of the Inspired by Gibson 1959 Standards. They had the cherry and the tobacco burst one. I played them both and realized the necks were damn near exact, and both were not far off from my Gold Glory. I decided if one popped up, I’d grab it. Well, I found ad and the lister stated the finish had some type imperfection on the neck that was noticeable to the feel so it was sanded. Then it had been buffed so it’s playable. Well the thing that struck my eye was what the neck looked like where it was sanded.
16546D7B-68AD-4DE3-93CF-F74AF08415F2.jpeg
If I can get the rest of the back of the body closer to this color, I’d be happy with it, plus it’s already been started and that was heavily reflected in the price as well.
The front has a pretty veneer, so I’m kinda hoping if I sand it back a bit, I can lighten the color a little, similar to the back. If I can get to the veneer and not burn through I’ll try to restain it, if not, I’ll paint it gold. C27B9F00-4B4D-4DE2-8893-6A6604DEAF39.jpeg 87ABF46B-030D-44D9-9D4F-261CBB7BE6D8.jpeg 1B6191B6-0C1B-4D83-BBC0-13F25DB9CFF4.jpeg
Based on my play and a few reviews, the neck does feel more like an R7 or R8 but not as beefy, just full in the hand. I’ll post pics when it gets in, but I do plan on playing it through the week and figuring out what I have for parts on hand. I’ll post step by step and explain the process of you’re interested. If not, I’ll post the before after pics.

Jeffytune

Reaction score
Yes, please keep us in loop throughout the possess.

Darkness

Reaction score
That does look very nice where it was sanded.

Old Woody

Reaction score
So here it is. I went to the local box shop about a week ago and played a pair of the Inspired by Gibson 1959 Standards. They had the cherry and the tobacco burst one. I played them both and realized the necks were damn near exact, and both were not far off from my Gold Glory. I decided if one popped up, I’d grab it. Well, I found ad and the lister stated the finish had some type imperfection on the neck that was noticeable to the feel so it was sanded. Then it had been buffed so it’s playable. Well the thing that struck my eye was what the neck looked like where it was sanded.
View attachment 14514
If I can get the rest of the back of the body closer to this color, I’d be happy with it, plus it’s already been started and that was heavily reflected in the price as well.
The front has a pretty veneer, so I’m kinda hoping if I sand it back a bit, I can lighten the color a little, similar to the back. If I can get to the veneer and not burn through I’ll try to restain it, if not, I’ll paint it gold. View attachment 14511 View attachment 14512 View attachment 14513
Based on my play and a few reviews, the neck does feel more like an R7 or R8 but not as beefy, just full in the hand. I’ll post pics when it gets in, but I do plan on playing it through the week and figuring out what I have for parts on hand. I’ll post step by step and explain the process of you’re interested. If not, I’ll post the before after pics.

The sanding makes it look as if its been played since 59 IMHO .

Zero

Reaction score
So I have it with me as I work today. I have a pad of paper and a pen if inspiration hits me.
So far, the matte finish is okay, but the polished tops I’ve seen really make the veneer pop. I’d like to lighten the outter ring of the burst first. The stop tail is aluminum so I’m going to get an aluminum ABR age them, the pickup covers and the tuners all at once. 8102C2E3-D2BE-43B2-8239-F1A54F8D9316.jpeg D032FD70-0279-4141-B485-0290259CC2CC.jpeg sorry for the crap cell pics, I’ll try get some better ones up later in the day

IGRocker

Reaction score
So I have it with me as I work today. I have a pad of paper and a pen if inspiration hits me.
So far, the matte finish is okay, but the polished tops I’ve seen really make the veneer pop. I’d like to lighten the outter ring of the burst first. The stop tail is aluminum so I’m going to get an aluminum ABR age them, the pickup covers and the tuners all at once. View attachment 14542 View attachment 14543 sorry for the crap cell pics, I’ll try get some better ones up later in the day

The chrome pickup covers and tuners may not age the best. Look up mid ‘70s though 90’s Gibson’s to get a good idea of what aged chrome looks like.

Zero

Reaction score
The chrome pickup covers and tuners may not age the best. Look up mid ‘70s though 90’s Gibson’s to get a good idea of what aged chrome looks like.
I thought the pickup covers were nickel plated?

Zero

Reaction score
Some lunch pics....
double checked output.
Neck:
6C394117-1230-463A-A03D-E01F1E886349.jpeg
bridge: 2C1EC771-D78E-496B-842F-1D2AE9DEBA90.jpeg
These are a bit hot for my taste, but over all sounds really good through my test amp.
00B11CE4-BEE3-42B1-B558-8553FF6AA7F9.jpeg AFB1E185-3B0D-49DC-AAC4-6975BB7392EA.jpeg
If all else fails with the lightening of the stain, veneer issues or anything otherwise, it’ll be more along these lines
097B1BB3-C352-495B-A4E2-D8358881DB5F.jpeg

BGood

Reaction score
Quite a difference in space between bridge and pickup. I imagine the new one sounds thicker on that pup.
These are a bit hot for my taste, but over all sounds really good through my test amp.
Try lowering that neck pickup to ring level or lower. It might lose some of its strenght and gain in clarity.

Zero

Reaction score
Quite a difference in space between bridge and pickup. I imagine the new one sounds thicker on that pup.
Try lowering that neck pickup to ring level or lower. It might lose some of its strenght and gain in clarity.
Yeah. I haven’t played with the pup heights. Since that truss rod scare, I’ve had it tuned, played it, switched rooms (warmer / cooler) and played to make sure the truss rod doesn’t shift.

I’ll play it through to this weekend, then I’m gonna start diggin into it for the mods and such. After she’s all said and done, I’ll do a proper set up.

Actually, I’m gonna drop that pup right now....

Zero

Reaction score
Honestly sounds a ton better! I’m thinking these pickups will stay! I’m going to age them a bit, but I do like them.

BGood

Reaction score
Happy for you. Soooo many times pickups are discarded because they were never given a chance to find their sweet spot. Then new ones are bought, installed at the same common height just to be put aside again.

Then you have to learn to play with their volume and tone controls, And then picking options (soft pick, hard pick, fingers ...).