335 or Sheraton?

lukagirl

Reaction score
I'm not too familiar with Epiphone models but from looking around reverb and ebay, I can't quite find anything like this with a quilt top and 3 pups. According to who I bought it from, he claims to have known the gentleman that created it and apparently he said it was a 335. Seems like it might be some kind of hybrid. Any info would be greatly appreciated. IMG_0716cc.JPG IMG_0717cc.JPG IMG_0719cc.JPG

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
Seems like it might be some kind of hybrid. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

looks like this guitar never had seen any €pi-factory from the inside
there is no model even close to it

can we have more pics, some close-up from the serial#

it shows some signs of being faked

the binding is too thick
1655232073675.png

the neck-heel looks wrong
1655231863789.png

the €piphone logo on the headstock looks off
1655231952284.png

and
welcome here @ €piTalk
:wave:

Last edited:

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics,

the Grover tuners look faked, too

Where are you located ?
Where did you buy it from ?

Maybe there is a chance to get your money back,

you need to get the word from Gibson/Epi Customer-Service
BEFORE
you contact the seller

in case you're in Europe, try this eMail:

[email protected]

they are in the Netherlands, I had good conversations with Mr. Stijn Vergast
he helped other buyers in such cases

Last edited:

lukagirl

Reaction score
I'm in Alaska. I got it from a friend off mine that has some 60+ guitars and a wife who thinks that's too many. Came with all the case candy, tools, warranty tags from Epi and Grover, owners manual and even the bumper sticker. I'm not into it for much and it looks good as wall art. When I saw the gold bigsby wannabe on there, I was a little suspicious. I'll have to investigate the story more thoroughly with him as I'm sure he has no idea it's a fake. I think he may have some other guitars from whomever he got this from

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
Well, the Epi wiki has lost most of its links, so I can't check to compare, but there was one version of MIJ Sheraton that had the solid MOP blocks - but I think they, like the standard MOP-&-abalone triangle-in-block ones, ended at the 14th fret, and I don't recall ever seeing a Sheri with the logo that slanted. Also, every Sheri I recall ever seeing had much fancier neck binding; multi-ply with another stripe inlaid inboard a tad.

But it is most decidedly not a 335; the blocks are too big, the body binding is multi-ply, and the headstock vine inlay is found only on some Epi-specific models, never on Epi versions of Gibson models.

And neither model has ever come with 3 p/ups.

Without further input, I have to agree with Pete; counterfeit.

But the only important question is, "Do you like it?" How does it feel & sound? If that's good, no prob - and it is pretty (though Pete would probably paint it black........)

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
Thanks, Pete (I'm Pete, too, BTW - though usually addressed as "Peter"). I think that's the 3rd time I've mentioned the wiki being wonky & you've given me a new way to it; greatly appreciated, mein Freund!

And I now see that the blocks on the Terada-built Sheri I mentioned above do, indeed, extend the full length of the 'board - but the logo & vine are completely different. So I'm still leaning toward fakery here.

3bolt79

Reaction score
My friend had a Sheraton. I didn’t really care for the neck on it. I wound up with an ES 335 as a gift from my wife last Christmas.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
My friend had a Sheraton. I didn’t really care for the neck on it. I wound up with an ES 335 as a gift from my wife last Christmas.
A friend of mine has an '88 Sheri; it is the main reason I got my '92 instead of the purple Tele I was considering. We both like the neck on mine better. They do vary - but even a "bad" Sheri neck is,in my experience, better than most other necks (yeah, I'm a Sheraton fan).

Latest posts