'56 GT owners

wildeman

Reaction score
Did these come with nickel hardware? What I can find says chrome but my '09 Unsung has all nickel, even the Grovers, it looks awesome and it looks stock.

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
I have a '03 korean one and a '07 china one, both came with chrome hardware.

the '03 one i've replaced almost all the hardware already (but I have them in a little bag still - they make nice weights for holding down things sometimes). Mine didn't come with the current "locktone" bridge/tailpiece. The bridge has since collapsed and a number of burrs have developed in the saddles, tailpiece and tuners. My '07 came with chrome plated locktone bridge/tailpiece.

barryflan

Reaction score
Mine were Chrome as well - a 2005 Unsung. I replaced the stop bar and tuners to Faber - cut half a pound off the weight! Might treat it to some new pots and switch at some point but the p90s I like.

My favourite guitar.

wildeman

Reaction score
Mine were Chrome as well - a 2005 Unsung. I replaced the stop bar and tuners to Faber - cut half a pound off the weight! Might treat it to some new pots and switch at some point but the p90s I like.

My favourite guitar.
My guess is someone changed the stuff then. I also love these pickups.

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
Here we go~! These I always have with me. They're my daily players.

The one with the tape on the selector switch cavity cover is the Korean one. That one doesn't have a veneer over the mahogany back. The made in china one does (I prefer no veneer, but it doesn't bother me either). I've changed out the knobs and switch tip on both. Also changed out the pickups/electronics on the china one (one of the tone pots got too scratchy to the point where it was almost like it was shorting out the connection - not at the older point, but if turned) and the switch was also not working very well. The pickup change was recent - planning to do an updated shoot out of a few different P90s soon.

All of the hardware on the korean one has been swapped out for Graphtech stuff because the old hardware had pitted, collapsed and developed burrs etc... as explained above. Frets have also been lightly leveled and recrowned once. The tape over the screws is just because the screws are ever so slightly off (and too lazy to plug/redrill) such that the cap would catch my clothing. Pickups are stock.

20220508_130008.jpg

20220508_130140.jpg

20220426_222006.jpg

BGood

Reaction score
Here we go~! These I always have with me. They're my daily players.

The one with the tape on the selector switch cavity cover is the Korean one. That one doesn't have a veneer over the mahogany back. The made in china one does (I prefer no veneer, but it doesn't bother me either). I've changed out the knobs and switch tip on both. Also changed out the pickups/electronics on the china one (one of the tone pots got too scratchy to the point where it was almost like it was shorting out the connection - not at the older point, but if turned) and the switch was also not working very well. The pickup change was recent - planning to do an updated shoot out of a few different P90s soon.

All of the hardware on the korean one has been swapped out for Graphtech stuff because the old hardware had pitted, collapsed and developed burrs etc... as explained above. Frets have also been lightly leveled and recrowned once. The tape over the screws is just because the screws are ever so slightly off (and too lazy to plug/redrill) such that the cap would catch my clothing. Pickups are stock.

View attachment 17540

View attachment 17541

View attachment 17539
Ahhh .. thank you. Beauties.

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
I like having a pickguard (esp on P90 models), but the color is dreadful (one's better than the other) .. unfortunately there aren't any off the shelf replacements for this model

barryflan

Reaction score
Hello fellow '56 GT owners!

I am considering changing the wiring on my 2005 Unsung '56. Wondering if anyone else has done this and if so are there any specific parts I can get which do not require altering the hole sizes? Talking switch, pots, jack - I am going to leave the stock P90s for now as they sound quite good.

Out of all my guitars, this is the one my hand naturally goes to so I want to treat it right!
Thanks

-Barry

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
Metric sized pots in general will fit - i.e. Alpha would be a direct replacement. The easiest would just be to get a metric sized harness suitable for Epiphones/ imports. Switchcraft short switches should fit, but sometimes you might need to lightly sanding the hole a bit to be able to push it through. A metric switch would drop in with no issue. For the 1/4" jack, check if the outer portion where the threads of your existing jack is a concentric circle, or whether there are two flat sides. Sometimes the Korean Epis used jacks with two flat sides so that the jack would not move once in the jack plate. However, if you buy a normal 1/4" jack, you'd need to ream out the hole of the jack plate (and/or just buy a new "normal" jack plate for a concentric jack).

BGood

Reaction score
Hello fellow '56 GT owners!

I am considering changing the wiring on my 2005 Unsung '56. Wondering if anyone else has done this and if so are there any specific parts I can get which do not require altering the hole sizes? Talking switch, pots, jack - I am going to leave the stock P90s for now as they sound quite good.

Out of all my guitars, this is the one my hand naturally goes to so I want to treat it right!
Thanks

-Barry
Curious as to why you want to change it if it served the guitar well for the past 17 years ?

barryflan

Reaction score
Metric sized pots in general will fit - i.e. Alpha would be a direct replacement. The easiest would just be to get a metric sized harness suitable for Epiphones/ imports. Switchcraft short switches should fit, but sometimes you might need to lightly sanding the hole a bit to be able to push it through. A metric switch would drop in with no issue. For the 1/4" jack, check if the outer portion where the threads of your existing jack is a concentric circle, or whether there are two flat sides. Sometimes the Korean Epis used jacks with two flat sides so that the jack would not move once in the jack plate. However, if you buy a normal 1/4" jack, you'd need to ream out the hole of the jack plate (and/or just buy a new "normal" jack plate for a concentric jack).

Thanks for the pointers!

barryflan

Reaction score
Curious as to why you want to change it if it served the guitar well for the past 17 years ?

I only recently bought this, and it was a little damaged in transit - the switch was badly bent and the knobs depressed. The jack is also not the best. Just figure while I am in there I may as well change the pots as well!

jcwillow777

Reaction score
Mine is an 07 and it came with Nickle hardware. I did some modifications to mine. New CST pots and wiring, Switchcraft switch and jack, Gibson Mini pups, Grover Green Key Tuners, Graph Tech nut, new knobs and knob pointers, and of course strap locks.

I tried to upload pics, but wasn't allowed too. :-(

Last edited: