A new kitchen!

Otto99

Reaction score
Nice butcher block surface and good lighting. I like the farmhouse sink too. Didn't get a good view of the beer closet in the first pic. I assume it's adequate.
It’s the same frig we had, as it’s old school and apart from the ice maker works just fine. Trouble is, it’s old school and all this new and shiny makes it look really dingy. We are leaning toward a a new frig, once we find one that offers what we need. Some of these fancy pants French door things can’t handle a 2 foot tall stockpot filled with red sauce, and that will not do.

Digger

Reaction score
In the first pic whats that thing sitting in the double cupboard on the RHS with a teatowel on the handles?

Looks like a second oven?

It all looks terrific Greg, wish ours looked as good.

Otto99

Reaction score
Real wood or laminate counters ?

Oops ?

View attachment 17649
Laminate, but it’s the best that I’ve ever seen. And we have this window ledge that bows out, and the new sink’s width put the faucet hole under the widest part. One of the guys wanted to trim it down to a straight edge, but the other one wanted to leave as much extra shelf as he could, so he notched it. He didn’t paint it, though, so I’ll fix that.

Otto99

Reaction score
In the first pic whats that thing sitting in the double cupboard on the RHS with a teatowel on the handles?

Looks like a second oven?

It all looks terrific Greg, wish ours looked as good.
It is. I only bought the free standing range because just a plain cooktop was a lot more coin than this fully featured convection range with the glass top - something I’m not a huge fan of - from the scratch and dent store. And the dent was in the back, so win! We will use the free stander for baking and the in wall for everything else.

Otto99

Reaction score
That's pretty nice, to have a warming oven for big family get togethers. If you don't have those, rip out the wall oven and put an amp in there so you can play while you cook. 🤔
The range has the warming feature, and we like the in wall for roasting as we don’t have to stoop over to hoist a 25 pound bird out of of the oven. We can still bend enough to get a loaf of bread out, but that’s about the extent of it. 😁

Whitefang

Reaction score
I need work done on my kitchen. I'm OK with the cabinets, but the countertops need replacing. And too maybe the sink and all the "dead plumbing" under it. And a new dishwasher and the disposal switch moved from under the sink. And the floor needs to go too. My old fridge still looks and works like new, but the stove, a holdover from the rental days also needs to go. We moved into the place as a rental back in '11, and when my wife got waylaid by a stroke in '16 a couple years after that the landlord said he wanted to sell the place and not knowing if the new owner would keep it as a rental property and we'd maybe have to move, well, the logistics of moving my invalid wife and at my age and not great health, I decided to accept his offer of letting me buy the place at a slightly lower price than someone else. My wife passed before the deal went through, and I've been making other improvements slowly in the last 4 years.

I was thinking of getting granite countertops, But your laminated "butcher block" countertops look fantastic! And probably a lot lighter on the budget.

Whitefang

BGood

Reaction score
I was thinking of getting granite countertops, But your laminated "butcher block" countertops look fantastic! And probably a lot lighter on the budget.
I wanted to do concrete tops in our 25 year old kitchen, but didn't want to deal with the mess. We went with porcelain tiles. Total of 8 tiles for the whole kitchen that look like concrete. Four 32" X 32" and four 24" X 48".

Comptoir cuisine.JPG

Digger

Reaction score
Second oven is a great idea! We have a double oven so the bottom one can be used at the same time as the main oven, plus we grequently use our air fryer for additional oven functions.

Our son Greg is experimenting with painting our solid timber cupboards in on our kitchen as with wooden flooring we have too much timber. They are going to end up cream, but we need to decide on new surfaces too.

Getting a company in to redo the whole kitchen is enormously expensive and our cabinets were vey good quality to start with.

You’ve done a nice job there mate.

Otto99

Reaction score
Second oven is a great idea! We have a double oven so the bottom one can be used at the same time as the main oven, plus we grequently use our air fryer for additional oven functions.

Our son Greg is experimenting with painting our solid timber cupboards in on our kitchen as with wooden flooring we have too much timber. They are going to end up cream, but we need to decide on new surfaces too.

Getting a company in to redo the whole kitchen is enormously expensive and our cabinets were vey good quality to start with.

You’ve done a nice job there mate.
Can’t take the credit other than choosing the colors, hardware, and the sink. Me and the bride both agreed on butcher block look from the get go, and since my career was in design, she let me take the lead with certain veto privileges. The guys we hired were first class, gave us some free upgrades, and still came in slightly under the original proposal. I mean, how often does that happen?

Whitefang

Reaction score
The floor is the one thing I'm definitely not sure about. Can't decide about replacing one design of vinyl flooring with another, laminate wood type thing or some kind of stone type tile.

Then there's the project of removing my bathtub and just making that space one big shower stall. Different room, but costly ideas too. 😩

Whitefang

Otto99

Reaction score
The floor is the one thing I'm definitely not sure about. Can't decide about replacing one design of vinyl flooring with another, laminate wood type thing or some kind of stone type tile.

Then there's the project of removing my bathtub and just making that space one big shower stall. Different room, but costly ideas too. 😩

Whitefang
We put Pergo in the entry, kitchen, bar, and great room a few years ago. It was fine until the ice maker started leaking, and the pieces of flooring all across the kitchen began to shrink and open up at the joins. It’s still ok in the rest of the house, but for the kitchen, we did a vinyl click together floor that is waterproof.

littlebadboy

Reaction score
Very nice! We're thinking of a kitchen remod too. We have just moved into a 1950s house and the people who remod the kitchen did a silly job with used cabinetry.

ted keane

Reaction score
It’s the same frig we had, as it’s old school and apart from the ice maker works just fine. Trouble is, it’s old school and all this new and shiny makes it look really dingy. We are leaning toward a a new frig, once we find one that offers what we need. Some of these fancy pants French door things can’t handle a 2 foot tall stockpot filled with red sauce, and that will not do.
Your fridge is just reliced