A new, new What’s for Dinner thread

Raiyn

Reaction score
We're doing leftover cleanout so we used some leftover wild rice for soup.
PAUL HARVEY'S WILD RICE SOUP

INGREDIENTS

UNITS: US
INGREDIENTS
UNITS: METRIC

DIRECTIONS
  • Prepare wild rice according to directions on package.
  • Sauté onion in butter until tender.
  • Add water, potatoes and bouillon.
  • Cook until potatoes are tender.
  • Add milk and cheese, stirring occasionally.
  • When mixture is creamy, add cooked rice.
  • You can garnish the soup with cooked bacon bits.
  • You can add mushrooms and/or bell peppers with the onion when cooking.
We added the mushrooms.

Digger

Reaction score
Tis maybe a bit pedestrian but the other night I felt like a good old fryup!

So a couple of fat beef sausages, 2 small pieces of bacon, a small onion finely sliced and 2 free range eggs cooked in a slight bit of EVOO. There were a few chips done in the air fryer too....of course.
aZJOAsRh.jpg

The tomato sauce was yet to be added!

LP_SPC_1_P90

Reaction score
Gas Station Pizza, the local Racetrac makes pizza. selling a slice or whole pizza. 2 of the 3 of them out there for who knows when they were made. Timing is everything, the 3rd one actually looked better than what a chain like Dominoes or Papa Johns makes fresh. $ 10 & tax and I'm fed for the next couple of meals. The one I claimed, had sauce, it wasn't the usual dry cheese & topping on a crust. The one I ended up with had pepperoni & sausages, plenty of sauce, enough cheese. The crust was crispy edge surface, yet chewy, not overly dried out. Even had the coal fired charring. They have a Mexican style pizza too. If they ever put fresh veggies on for toppings, they might just have the best gas station pizza off I-95.

1681518850673.png

Last edited:

Supersonic

Reaction score
Gas Station Pizza, the local Racetrac makes pizza. selling a slice or whole pizza. 2 of the 3 of them out there for who knows when they were made. Timing is everything, the 3rd one actually looked better than what a chain like Dominoes or Papa Johns makes fresh. $ 10 & tax and I'm fed for the next couple of meals. The one I claimed, had sauce, it wasn't the usual dry cheese & topping on a crust. The one I ended up with had pepperoni & sausages, plenty of sauce, enough cheese. The crust was crispy edge surface, yet chewy, not overly dried out. Even had the coal fired charring. They have a Mexican style pizza too. If they ever put fresh veggies on for toppings, they might just have the best gas station pizza off I-95.

View attachment 20964

Looks pretty good to me. The pizzas at the gas stations near me are god-awful, I'd rather get a frozen Red Barron.

Otto99

Reaction score
Hunt Brother’s or Casey’s? I’ve always heard Casey’s makes a pretty good ‘za, there’s a Shell C-store near my son’s house that does Hunt Bro’s, and they look pretty tasty as well.

LP_SPC_1_P90

Reaction score
Looks pretty good to me. The pizzas at the gas stations near me are god-awful, I'd rather get a frozen Red Barron.
Dad was like that for his last couple of years, he would get the frozen Wal-Mart pizza. Then one day, he was getting ready to make his pizza. I told him about Little Caesars Hot-N-Ready for $ 4.99 & tax for his same Pepperoni pizza. That was a game changer for him, he could get a fresh pizza for a little less than what the frozen & bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes. As his caregiver, he would approach me with a "How do you feel about Little Caesars for lunch. today ?" It wasn't about me, I was taking care of his 18 yo dog too. He fed the dog for the middle of day meal, while I went and took care of his pizza needs. The 2nd time he sent me out for LC's, that's when I introduced the Crazy (garlic) Bread & tub of pizza sauce. We still had parlor pizza for the higher end pizza, But for his pizza binges, LC's was his new fix.

The Hunt Brother's All toppings included same price, that's a heck of a deal. Nobody else does that.

Last edited:

Davis Sharp

Reaction score
Homemade burgers and fries. And by "homemade," I mean the cooking. Burger patties from the grocery and frozen french fries in the air fryer. I did slice the onions and tomatoes myself.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Homemade burgers and fries. And by "homemade," I mean the cooking. Burger patties from the grocery and frozen french fries in the air fryer. I did slice the onions and tomatoes myself.
No shame in that. I had "Fillet o' Fish" sandwiches in similar fashion a few days back. Frozen breaded fish wedges, homemade tartar sauce, frozen fries done up in the air fryer, and some cut fruit for a side.

Suffice to say, that's the reason I wanted a big salad the next day.

Digger

Reaction score
Now that you mention it? What is for dinner tonight?

I know! L’overs! Left over Chicken and mushroom Risotto reheated.

L’overs are handy sometimes!

Last edited:

Otto99

Reaction score
Pan fried flounder, fresh from the Gulf, roasted Yukon Gold potatoes, and slaw. A meal that could have come from the chippy! I did add some malt vinegar to my potatoes.

Davis Sharp

Reaction score
Family gathering yesterday. Beef and turkey burgers (separate, not mixed meat), potato salad, corn on the cob, spinach salad.

Supersonic

Reaction score
It's a cold and rainy day here so it's homemade beef stew and a fresh baguette to soak up the broth with.

Otto99

Reaction score
The bride found another turkey breast on sale, so it was Thanksgiving dinner redux, but this time the dressing was all from scratch. And @Raiyn, I was really missing the green bean hot dish.

Otto99

Reaction score
Last night, grilled chicken Caesar salads. Tonight, we’re gettin’ literary with The Remains of the Other Day, or leftover Italian sausage with peppers and onions in a creme sauce over farfalle.

Latest posts