Epiphone LP 59 - complete refinish

barryflan

Reaction score
GOLD TOP!!! Do a ‘57 version, back and sides natural/honey and gold top!!

I have an Epi '56 Goldtop already, so it won't be that. It will be a natural back/sides with either a cherry red or black top - something like these:
Selection_167.png Selection_169.png

Equalphone

Reaction score
I'm always in for deep cherry or burgandy or mahogany red and translucent finishes.

When you said "seven piece top", my first thought was "gotta go solid". But that's some nice looking wood. I'd stain it all, then go back with a brush after the initial coat dries and carefully darken the light pieces to match the darker.

barryflan

Reaction score
I'm always in for deep cherry or burgandy or mahogany red and translucent finishes.

When you said "seven piece top", my first thought was "gotta go solid". But that's some nice looking wood. I'd stain it all, then go back with a brush after the initial coat dries and carefully darken the light pieces to match the darker.

Yes, my cherry red stain arrives today, so will try translucent cherry on the top first. I'll upload pics once done for opinions!

barryflan

Reaction score
OK, small update. I did the cherry red, but not liking it. There are very dark patches and IMO it looks more like a pallet guitar, wehich is definitely NOT what I am after! Black top/Natural back I think will be the choice.

PXL_20220910_163220722~2.jpg PXL_20220910_163212410~2.jpg

BGood

Reaction score
OK, small update. I did the cherry red, but not liking it. There are very dark patches and IMO it looks more like a pallet guitar, wehich is definitely NOT what I am after! Black top/Natural back I think will be the choice.

View attachment 18719 View attachment 18720
Yeah ... not that great indeed. At least you tried. Clear cherry LPs are rare.

barryflan

Reaction score
Yeah ... not that great indeed. At least you tried. Clear cherry LPs are rare.

Yeah, disappointing as it really was my first choice. Black will be good though, especially with the natural back and sides.

Norton

Reaction score
I think you are beyond right. It already looks pretty killer ! Nice work!!

Darkness

Reaction score
Are these tooling marks or something? My Trad IV has some deep scuffs under the finish in exactly the same area. Doesn't bother me but I'm curious.
20220918_085256.png

barryflan

Reaction score
Are these tooling marks or something? My Trad IV has some deep scuffs under the finish in exactly the same area. Doesn't bother me but I'm curious.
View attachment 18770

Yes. I think so. Certainly the poly was deeper in these areas. In my refin I tried to accentuate the curves a little by (after this photo) sanding around that and the side perimeters.

Today I scraped the binding and applied the first 4 clear coats. I'll upload some pics tomorrow, but really happy with the outcome.

Darkness

Reaction score
Yes. I think so. Certainly the poly was deeper in these areas. In my refin I tried to accentuate the curves a little by (after this photo) sanding around that and the side perimeters.

Today I scraped the binding and applied the first 4 clear coats. I'll upload some pics tomorrow, but really happy with the outcome.
Here's my Trad IV in my 59's case, same area

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220919-163121_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220919-163121_Gallery.jpg
    804.8 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts