Epiphone LP 59 - complete refinish

Keefoman

Reaction score
Yeah, great result! Personally, I would have a tint darker back and sides, but I wouldn't know how to do it, so kudos! 😎

barryflan

Reaction score
Yeah, great result! Personally, I would have a tint darker back and sides, but I wouldn't know how to do it, so kudos! 😎

Yes, I agree. The back and sides are a little too blonde. I would have preferred a slightly more golden brown. Having said that - it is growing on me! Photos don't quite do it justice.

28 Flathead

Reaction score
Wow!
Excellent job, congratulations.
It looks fantastic.
Just beautiful.

Enjoicube

Reaction score
I’m curious as to how you went about stripping your Sheraton (heat, chemicals, sanding)? It looks like a really clean job and you’ve got me wondering if I should do my 07 Sheraton, which has a bunch of finish flaking off around the neck pocket. I’ve heard so many horror stories about stripping semi/hollowbody guitars due to their laminated construction (and binding), so most attempts I’ve seen went the sanding route - but this often leaves obvious sand throughs where the top veneer was too thin. Either way, that’s a beautiful refin job and a beautiful guitar!!

Space1999

Reaction score
Moonbase Alpha: drifting in space on the moon
I’m curious as to how you went about stripping your Sheraton (heat, chemicals, sanding)? It looks like a really clean job and you’ve got me wondering if I should do my 07 Sheraton, which has a bunch of finish flaking off around the neck pocket. I’ve heard so many horror stories about stripping semi/hollowbody guitars due to their laminated construction (and binding), so most attempts I’ve seen went the sanding route - but this often leaves obvious sand throughs where the top veneer was too thin. Either way, that’s a beautiful refin job and a beautiful guitar!!
I just used a sanding block from Lowes :)

Pat

Darkness

Reaction score
Yes, I agree. The back and sides are a little too blonde. I would have preferred a slightly more golden brown. Having said that - it is growing on me! Photos don't quite do it justice.
I will respectfully disagree. I think it is common for LP to have a darker shade of wood, so wanting darker makes sense. However, the color of that wood is very attractive. It is more unique this way and who can argue with mother nature about looks?

Latest posts