Favorite Klon Clone and or Clean Boost

Space1999

Reaction score
Moonbase Alpha: drifting in space on the moon
i need something versatile like that. i have like one of each kind of drive pedal and then some, i like to stack em so thatd be cool
That for me has been the trick. Slowly building gain through my pedals. Using the first after the tuner for my “preamp” type sound for the guitar and then building from Klon type distortion to Tube Screamer to Plexi.

And being able to use all of them in different combinations. :)

Pat

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
i need something versatile like that. i have like one of each kind of drive pedal and then some, i like to stack em so thatd be cool
The version I have is very difficult to find any longer. Anyone who actually has one wants to keep it or so it would seem. Here's an Ebay listing for an original version like the first one I had and there are four more listed on Reverb ranging in price from around $225 to $450.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
That for me has been the trick. Slowly building gain through my pedals. Using the first after the tuner for my “preamp” type sound for the guitar and then building from Klon type distortion to Tube Screamer to Plexi.

Pat
That's how my board is structured. The TC Booster is first in line followed by my Tumnus then a Nobels ODR-1, and lastly an OCD.

The Tumnus stacks very well with both the ODR-1 and the OCD but isn't all that impressive to me on it's own. I'm not nearly as impressed with any of the so called Klon Klones as others may be if used alone. Maybe I need to drive it harder when it's being soloed. :dunno:

Reaction score
That's how my board is structured. The TC Booster is first in line followed by my Tumnus then a Nobels ODR-1, and lastly an OCD.

The Tumnus stacks very well with both the ODR-1 and the OCD but isn't all that impressive to me on it's own. I'm not nearly as impressed with any of the so called Klon Klones as others may be if used alone. Maybe I need to drive it harder when it's being soloed. :dunno:
thats one of the things i love the most about my preamp in the OP, the boost is 24v , allowing me fatten up thin tones, and it lets me get break up at lower volumes. where as the preamp stays on, sometimes ill turn the gain setting down on my pedal and let the boost do more of the distortion and in conjunction with rolling the bass off, with the Low cut knob. i never thought it would be such and extremely useful feature but it cuts the bass in a way, that sounds alot better than rolling the bass off with the amps eq

Reaction score

Pat
i put the preamp in the front as well but i dont keep the tuner in my chain although i use one. you can hear the difference if you unplug its power supply. my amp makes a noise every time i type a key, its like the hum shifts brighter :rofl:do you use an attenuator? id like to hear Raiyn and Soulmans take on these as well
1670466993266.png

Last edited:

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
i put the preamp in the front as well but i dont keep the tuner in my chain although i use one. you can hear the difference if you unplug its power supply. my amp makes a noise everytime i type a key, like the hum shifts brighter :rofl:do you use an attenuator. id like to hear Raiyn and Soulmans take on these as well
View attachment 19414

My take on which, a preamp or a tuner in the signal chain?

FWIW the only boost I'm using is coming from that TC Booster + Distortion and mostly to add some juice to my single coil Tele and Strat pickups. They sound fatter and it also give me some leeway to tweak tonality as well. Overall it makes any pickup sound more full.

I've never experienced any noise from my tuner itself so It sits at the front of my signal chain as it always has. I do have a buffer I can also add but around home and by using low capacitance cables I've never found it's been needed all that badly. Still, it's another "tool in the box".

As for my tube amp which is a 15w Egnater Tweaker head running at 4ohms into dual 1x12 cabs it runs very quietly. But then I'm also using low noise level NOS preamp tubes and a lower gain 5751 in V1. The power tubes are a pair of NOS 5881s so it's a far cry from stock.

That little 25w Quilter US SuperBlock is dead quiet. My old "war horse" Roland BC60 is starting to hum a little at idle but it's also around 25 years old now. It's such a SS classic I hate to part with it but I may do it and replace it with a newer one if I get to feeling rich again. ;)

Reaction score

FWIW the only boost I'm using is coming from that TC Booster + Distortion and mostly to add some juice to my single coil Tele and Strat pickups. They sound fatter and it also give me some leeway to tweak tonality as well. Overall it makes any pickup sound more full.

I've never experienced any noise from my tuner itself so It sits at the front of my signal chain as it always has. I do have a buffer I can also add but around home and by using low capacitance cables I've never found it's been needed all that badly. Still, it's another "tool in the box".

As for my tube amp which is a 15w Egnater Tweaker head running at 4ohms into dual 1x12 cabs it runs very quietly. But then I'm also using low noise level NOS preamp tubes and a lower gain 5751 in V1. The power tubes are a pair of NOS 5881s so it's a far cry from stock.

That little 25w Quilter US SuperBlock is dead quiet. My old "war horse" Roland BC60 is starting to hum a little at idle but it's also around 25 years old now. It's such a SS classic I hate to part with it but I may do it and replace it with a newer one if I get to feeling rich again. ;)
my question was about attenuators but still very interesting

Reaction score

its not an actual noise but its effecting it. so with my limited knowledge, i just keep off to the side, unplugged til i need it. which i dont need very often oddly enough. i have this restringing technique and a good setup that gives me insane tuning stability. i played for 2 day (6 hours each) and when i went to tuner, i almost didnt need to do anything. the only one that was off was my high e, and i think its cuz i bumped it

Last edited:

Raiyn

Reaction score
i put the preamp in the front as well but i dont keep the tuner in my chain although i use one. you can hear the difference if you unplug its power supply. my amp makes a noise every time i type a key, its like the hum shifts brighter :rofl:do you use an attenuator? id like to hear Raiyn and Soulmans take on these as well
I don't know what you have going on there. After I plug into my board, (the board itself) the next thing in line is my Korg Pitchblack. There's no noise issue there.

What are you using for power? Cheap supplies and daisy chains are notorious for noise. Before I bought my Fender Engine Room supplies for Grape Ape V.2 I used individual wall warts on Monoprice surge protectors - while it 100% worked and was quiet..... let's just say I didn't advertise it for reasons you'd see in the thread.

Attenuation? The only attenuation I use is one built into my Nextone Special, and believe me, I USE it. The 0.5W setting is plenty for bedroom / living room noodling and you've still got 20, 40, 60, and 80W settings.

The Mk1 Katana 50 I had has NOTHING on the new rig in terms of juice.

he-man-i-have-the-power-gif-7.gif

Reaction score
I don't know what you have going on there. After I plug into my board, (the board itself) the next thing in line is my Korg Pitchblack. There's no noise issue there.

What are you using for power? Cheap supplies and daisy chains are notorious for noise. Before I bought my Fender Engine Room supplies for Grape Ape V.2 I used individual wall warts on Monoprice surge protectors - while it 100% worked and was quiet..... let's just say I didn't advertise it for reasons you'd see in the thread.

Attenuation? The only attenuation I use is one built into my Nextone Special, and believe me, I USE it. The 0.5W setting is plenty for bedroom / living room noodling and you've still got 20, 40, 60, and 80W settings.

The Mk1 Katana 50 I had has NOTHING on the new rig in terms of juice.

he-man-i-have-the-power-gif-7.gif
yeah my power supply sucks as of now. ill have a good one here soon. i got a cheaper donner daisy chain but im bout to get an mxr or gator

Space1999

Reaction score
Moonbase Alpha: drifting in space on the moon
I use the attenuator on the Nextone sometimes for late night playing but most of the time I really don’t have to.

The deal is I use the JRockett Blue Note which has just a body and a top EQ knobs to get my fundamental sound after my TC Electronic Tuner, and then compress and come back out and EQ again to a more precise sound then move on to gain stages with pedals.

Hope that helps. :)

Pat

Raiyn

Reaction score
yeah my power supply sucks as of now. ill have a good one here soon. i got a cheaper donner daisy chain but im bout to get an mxr or gator
Don't look past the Fender offerings (especially if you catch a sale at Fender's site). MXR is a fine brand, but there's a reason I side-stepped them.

Rather than have a couple 9-volt outputs at 100mA, one or two 9-volt outputs at 300mA, perhaps an output with 9-volt at 450mA, and maybe a couple unswitchable 18-volt outputs at 250mA like some brands, you could have a bit more flexibility.

The Engine Room Lvl 8 has eight ground isolated power outlets, (6) are capable of delivering 9Vdc at 500mA while (2) additional outlets provide switchable voltage (9v/12v/18v) via 3-way switch.

Granted, not all your pedals are going to be that hungry, but it beats the hell out of crossing lines to match pedal order or having to leave something off. The fact that there are switchable outputs adds even more flexibility. My current board is all 9V, but I own at least one 18V pedal that used to be in the rotation.

I managed to catch a deal where if you bought two or more Fender accessories you got 30% off of each item - which really was the impetus for the total revamp of my rig.

Reaction score
Don't look past the Fender offerings (especially if you catch a sale at Fender's site). MXR is a fine brand, but there's a reason I side-stepped them.

Rather than have a couple 9-volt outputs at 100mA, one or two 9-volt outputs at 300mA, perhaps an output with 9-volt at 450mA, and maybe a couple unswitchable 18-volt outputs at 250mA like some brands, you could have a bit more flexibility.

The Engine Room Lvl 8 has eight ground isolated power outlets, (6) are capable of delivering 9Vdc at 500mA while (2) additional outlets provide switchable voltage (9v/12v/18v) via 3-way switch.

Granted, not all your pedals are going to be that hungry, but it beats the hell out of crossing lines to match pedal order or having to leave something off. The fact that there are switchable outputs adds even more flexibility. My current board is all 9V, but I own at least one 18V pedal that used to be in the rotation.

I managed to catch a deal where if you bought two or more Fender accessories you got 30% off of each item - which really was the impetus for the total revamp of my rig.
in this pedal groupim in a guy had multiple issues with mxr. i only have the mxr prime distortion and that dunlop wah. the scratchy noise bummed me out cuz it sounds amazing. i been just using it like a pedal. but can u send me a link to what ur talking about? i ended up settling on the Ryra the Klone btw
318293726_1120390515330744_2122168889185085817_n.jpg

Raiyn

Reaction score
in this pedal groupim in a guy had multiple issues with mxr. i only have the mxr prime distortion and that dunlop wah. the scratchy noise bummed me out cuz it sounds amazing. i been just using it like a pedal. but can u send me a link to what ur talking about? i ended up settling on the Ryra the Klone btw
View attachment 19427
Not entirely sure I got all of that, but
Shop around though, I caught the Lvl 8 and the Lvl 12 on sale (from Fender) and saved about $150.

Reaction score

i find the both my preamp or my big muff deluxe can be used to give lack-luster pedals what theyre missing (as much of a let down it is) i started feel that way about the this circuit at first til i started cranking it. i absolutely love it independently but its the ultimate pedal for stacking like u were saying

Last edited:
Reaction score
Not entirely sure I got all of that, but
Shop around though, I caught the Lvl 8 and the Lvl 12 on sale (from Fender) and saved about $150.
sorry, i was referring to the slash crybaby, (the scratchy one we discussed elsewhere) just using it as a pedal. sorry i left key parts out :rofl:

random thought:
i wish there was an easy way to share some sound clips. i wanna show u guys this killer tone i got by stacking the rat and the klone

Latest posts