Hi all - UK

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've joined up on here as I want to do some information digging and looking at various bits of advice etc.
I used to play guitar 10+ years ago, I myself had a yamaha - still have it actually... but a friend had a couple of guitars and I used to regularly play his epiphone les paul black beauty, I really enjoyed it to play... I'm looking at getting back into playing (for myself for now) and I was left some money by a family member which I'd like to put towards a guitar (rather than blowing on booze or consumable things)... so here I am..

Honestly I'm pretty much looking at 2nd hand, now trying to decipher whether I'm interested in the extra frets of a prophecy or whether a nice custom would just do the job..

I'll keep digging in the meantime...

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
Welcome!

On the 24fret thing - it does offer some advantages in that the neck joint is also further down the neck. On normal LPs, the neck meets the body at around 15/16th fret, where as on a 24 fret model like the prophecy, it meets at around the 18th fret. That being said, the Prophecy has thinner neck profile, so you'd probably want to put your hands on both just to see what feels more comfortable to you.

Reaction score
Thank you all!
The prophecys have really appealing aesthetics, I love the styling/colours... and 10 years ago in my overly metal days I'd have gone in no hesitation given its marketed as the metal les paul.. but these days with more of an appreciation for something a little more bluesy rock and enjoying relaxing as I play, I'm in two minds...

I also would rather spend a little more to get something that's the better model of what's on offer as the reality is even if the guitar is beyond me/my needs, it's probably not going to leave my ownership ever...

I'll definitely try and get a hold of a prophecy to see how it feels.

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
Thank you all!
The prophecys have really appealing aesthetics, I love the styling/colours... and 10 years ago in my overly metal days I'd have gone in no hesitation given its marketed as the metal les paul.. but these days with more of an appreciation for something a little more bluesy rock and enjoying relaxing as I play, I'm in two minds...

I also would rather spend a little more to get something that's the better model of what's on offer as the reality is even if the guitar is beyond me/my needs, it's probably not going to leave my ownership ever...

I'll definitely try and get a hold of a prophecy to see how it feels.

For better or worse, you actually have quite a variety to choose from in that price range, all of which will be great choices out of the box:
- Prophecy
- ‘59
- Lazarus
- Cantrell
- Slash collection

And if you want to save a $1-200 for modding (if that’s your thing), you have all the moderns and standards to choose from. I personally think they’re all good guitars and it really just boils down to what you want as a player in terms of looks and feel.

i woudln’t worry too much about the prophecy being marketed as a metal guitar - it’s a LP at heart and looks like a LP. It’s not going to be a situation like someone whipping out a Jackson Kelly or BC Rich or something extreme to play R&B :dude: I think it’s a pretty universal shape/ look. If you look at Pat Martino’s Benedetto (the black one he used before he passed away) - that could easily pass for a metal guitar, but it was only used for jazz.

Paulbf70

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've joined up on here as I want to do some information digging and looking at various bits of advice etc.
I used to play guitar 10+ years ago, I myself had a yamaha - still have it actually... but a friend had a couple of guitars and I used to regularly play his epiphone les paul black beauty, I really enjoyed it to play... I'm looking at getting back into playing (for myself for now) and I was left some money by a family member which I'd like to put towards a guitar (rather than blowing on booze or consumable things)... so here I am..

Honestly I'm pretty much looking at 2nd hand, now trying to decipher whether I'm interested in the extra frets of a prophecy or whether a nice custom would just do the job..

I'll keep digging in the meantime...
The majority of mine from either eBay or gumtree, I just picked a Les Paul custom up off eBay, are you after the black beauty with 3 pups?

ThreeChordWonder

Reaction score
Where in the UK then? Before I escaped to Texas in late 2000, I lived in dear old Blighty.

Born in Bristol to old (but broke) Bristol families, got evacuated to Jersey at two, then back to England, Ringwood / New Forst area at four. University in London then ten years in Aberdeen.