How to solve muddy sounds from High Kohms pickup in the neck.

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
I have a 16.9k ohms pickup on my 2007 Epi LPC and recently installed the original bridge pickup that came with my LPC, installed it in the neck position , that is rated at 14.20k ohms.

The sound was a little muddy, even after installing a 15mf capacitor and lowering the pickup.

A friend told me to just take out the neck pu's pole pieces, I did and the problem was solved ....more power and clarity.

Raiyn

Reaction score
The sound was a little muddy, even after installing a 15mf capacitor
That would've had zero effect wide open on the tone knob. You raised the floor on it for when you actually use the tone control, but other than that it wouldn't do anything by itself.
A friend told me to just take out the neck pu's pole pieces, I did and the problem was solved ....more power and clarity.
Perhaps a pickup builder can jump in here, but doesn't that effectively negate the screw coil?

Also, how exactly did you come to put such a hot pickup in the neck in the first place?

Old Woody

Reaction score
If it was my les paul I would just throw a Seymour Duncan 59 in the neck and call it good as they are pretty cheap and sound excellent. Then again I live on the neck pickup :)

Ernest Bledsoe

Reaction score
Installing a .015uf cap on the neck pickup only affects the tone IF you use the tone knob in conjunction with the pickup. Lowering the neck pickup would probably be the best advice (I saw above). I tried replacing caps to capture the Eric Clapton "Woman Tone" but that was on a guitar with only 1 tone control for both pickups and I realized that I made a mistake so I changed it back/installed an Orange Drop .022uf cap. When I play the bridge, I just leave the tone control wide open. I am satisfied with the tone.

Norton

Reaction score
drop the pickup height and raise the pole pieces.

If you can't get where you want from that, then your next option for that pickup would be a no-load pot.

If that doesn't get you where you want to go, you need a different pickup.

OR... you could do a magnet swap inside the pickup.

OR if you've got 4 conductor wiring on the pickup you could wire the coils in parallel instead of series. Still possible with 2 conductor wires but at that point you might as well get a different pickup.

Last edited: