How's Your Weather Today?

soulman969

Reaction score
106 F and dry .
Oooo.....fryin' eggs on a sidewalk temps. That's hot.....whew.

I'm almost ashamed to admit we had a pleasant breezy 84F for a high today. There were some rain clouds earlier (there always are here) but no rain at my place. But tomorrow and Friday we shoot up another 10F degrees so back to the mid 90Fs again.

syco

Reaction score
Oooo.....fryin' eggs on a sidewalk temps. That's hot.....whew.

I'm almost ashamed to admit we had a pleasant breezy 84F for a high today. There were some rain clouds earlier (there always are here) but no rain at my place. But tomorrow and Friday we shoot up another 10F degrees so back to the mid 90Fs again.
Got a whopping 2/10" rain last Friday , that looked like water being dripped into a hot cast iron skillet . 102 currently down from 108 .

soulman969

Reaction score
So 19C here and I am thrilled (not) to hear that the IOD (Indian Ocean Dipole) is returning until later in the year. That's the term for warmer than average water temperature to the NW of the continent. That condition brings wetter than average conditions to the SE coast as it has for the last 2 years. Rivers and dams are full, the ground is sodden and water running continuously here. Plants are dying because they all have wet feet!

Veggie production has endured 3 floods and food is ridiculously expensive because supply is limited. $10 for a lettuce! I planted a stack last week.
$10 buck for one head of lettuce? Damn, not many salad eaters in Australia at that price. Love to import some of that rain to the US West where it's looking like a second coming of the dust bowl years but even farther west. Lake Meade is seriously low on water and it's the largest reservoir in the west.

Lake Mead is a reservoir formed by the Hoover Dam on the Colorado River in the Southwestern United States. It is located in the states of Nevada and Arizona, 24 mi (39 km) east of Las Vegas. It is the largest reservoir in the US in terms of water capacity. Lake Mead provides water to the states of Arizona, California, and Nevada as well as some of Mexico, providing sustenance to nearly 20 million people and large areas of farmland.[1]

1659570208266.png

The lake has remained below full capacity since 1983 due to drought and increased water demand.[2][3][4] As of May 31, 2022, Lake Mead held 26.63% of full capacity at 7.517 million acre-feet (9,272,000 megaliters), dropping below the reservoir's previous all-time low of 9.328 million acre-feet (11,506,000 megaliters) recorded in July 2016.[5] In a draft 2022 Colorado River annual operating plan, released by the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation, a "Shortage Condition" is expected to be declared for 2022, due to the lake level falling below 1,075 feet (327.7 m), which will result in a projected 4.44% curtailment in downstream water delivery.[6

Otto99

Reaction score
$10 buck for one head of lettuce? Damn, not many salad eaters in Australia at that price. Love to import some of that rain to the US West where it's looking like a second coming of the dust bowl years but even farther west. Lake Meade is seriously low on water and it's the largest reservoir in the west.

Lake Mead is a reservoir formed by the Hoover Dam on the Colorado River in the Southwestern United States. It is located in the states of Nevada and Arizona, 24 mi (39 km) east of Las Vegas. It is the largest reservoir in the US in terms of water capacity. Lake Mead provides water to the states of Arizona, California, and Nevada as well as some of Mexico, providing sustenance to nearly 20 million people and large areas of farmland.[1]

View attachment 18383

The lake has remained below full capacity since 1983 due to drought and increased water demand.[2][3][4] As of May 31, 2022, Lake Mead held 26.63% of full capacity at 7.517 million acre-feet (9,272,000 megaliters), dropping below the reservoir's previous all-time low of 9.328 million acre-feet (11,506,000 megaliters) recorded in July 2016.[5] In a draft 2022 Colorado River annual operating plan, released by the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation, a "Shortage Condition" is expected to be declared for 2022, due to the lake level falling below 1,075 feet (327.7 m), which will result in a projected 4.44% curtailment in downstream water delivery.[6
I went to Hoover Dam a while back, and was appalled by the exposed rocks, some 15-20 feet below where it once was. There were already long walkways to marinas that once were near where we parked the car, and that was ten or better years ago.

Lancpudn

Reaction score

View attachment 18383

It's getting critical there at lake Mead, I've been watching a YT channel by a guy who goes out regular in a boat fishing & reporting on the ever decreasing water levels. He shows a sunken land mark that's just under the water then the week after it's exposed, Scary stuff.

We had a good amount of rain overnight with more to come this morning then It's clouds & sunny spells with a high of 18C, Still warm & humid though with all the wet weather. Nothing like the heat you guys experience in Summer but still way too sweaty for a Lancashire lad. :D

Lancpudn

Reaction score
Brrrrr! Our top today is expected to be just 12C! Winter has hit the ground running this year!
Successive floods up north see us experinceing a shortage of a number of vegetables and what we can get, stupid prices! $12 for an Iceberg lettuce currently.

NSFW.

I laughed at this about the price of veggies down under.
Tell it like it is :D:rofl:

soulman969

Reaction score
I went to Hoover Dam a while back, and was appalled by the exposed rocks, some 15-20 feet below where it once was. There were already long walkways to marinas that once were near where we parked the car, and that was ten or better years ago.
Yup, it's disaster and also where Las Vegas draws much of it's energy from. Our eastern states are getting way too much rain and out here we aren't getting even close to enough or winter snow either.

This is not just a normal weather cycle. This is a full blown climate change and I fear it's already too late to stop it let alone reverse it.

Lancpudn

Reaction score
We've got heavy showers rolling through this morning with a high of 16C today. I'm tasked with laundry duties today on a rainy day :frown:

soulman969

Reaction score
Rain and darkness. A transformer in our back yard blew up, so we’re sitting in the dark, waiting for the electrician or someone like him.
That's a bother. No power, probably no A/C either and it's 100% humidity and raining. Bad time for that to happen.

The place I lived in Denver had issues like that several times a year. It's an older neighborhood with the power lines above ground. About 200' from my window, on a pole, sat a transformer that would blow in a dazzling array of 4th of July style pyrotechnics during major t-storms.

It always took Xcel Energy at least 2-3 hours to arrive and repair it. :mad:

soulman969

Reaction score
No rain here and a high of 97F today although a stiff breeze actually made it bearable if you weren't out in the sun too long. Even now just past midnight it's still 77F but cooling off a bit tomorrow at 90F.

soulman969

Reaction score
The winds have shifted a bit and brought us a cooling trend. We're gonna be at a high of just 87F today down from 97F yesterday and continue along in the 80Fs for the next 4-5 days as well with some rain expected tomorrow and Monday. Nice relief from the scorching 90Fs.