I spy with my eye an Epiphone Prophecy V!

MeTheGuy

Reaction score
So I've always wanted a Flying V. Dont know why but I think they look pretty cool. The biggest drawback would be the sitting down playing position. I've also owned some Steinbergers over the years and those Spirit body shapes would also have had a sit down playing position problem, BUT, Steinberger has a simple fold out leg rest that by all appearances looks like it shouldn't work at all and would be uncomfortable but it isn't. And, you can buy those simple marvels of Steinbergery separately. So........

I'm thinking of a Flying V and attaching one of those leg rests to it. Of course it would take some position testing before final placement. Whatch think? Or am I just kidding myself? Talk me into it.
slxcfspkvqi428lgz7jg.jpg

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
Simon says buy a Prophecy flying V!
For me, the only complaint is that it was a bit pricey at the time because I had to order it in (cost me just a bit less than a Gibson B2 - with a Gator case, it ended up costing more) - but I think it's worth it. It's got all kinds of neat custom appointments w/o a pickguard, 24 frets, satin neck. And I really wanted to try the fluences.

20210714_090114.jpg

Bartrock

Reaction score
BTW: I owned a Gibson V90 Single for years,was forced to sell it.But it had that Steinberg leg rest mounted,and yes:it really works.And works very well.

Space1999

Reaction score
Moonbase Alpha: drifting in space on the moon
What timing. I have had to restrain myself from buying a new Prophecy recently. I like the Les Paul and the SG. The Fishman pickups sound magnificent although I am not a Metal player.

I was wondering what the three different flavors of the pickups sound like from those of you who have already pulled the trigger.

Most of the videos I watch reviewing them has been straight up Metal so I am not sure if I would enjoy the pickups or not…

Whatchy’all think?

Pat

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
What timing. I have had to restrain myself from buying a new Prophecy recently. I like the Les Paul and the SG. The Fishman pickups sound magnificent although I am not a Metal player.

I was wondering what the three different flavors of the pickups sound like from those of you who have already pulled the trigger.

Most of the videos I watch reviewing them has been straight up Metal so I am not sure if I would enjoy the pickups or not…

Whatchy’all think?

Pat

I'll try to see if I can record some clean clips over the weekend. It's more like 2.5 voices cause the difference in modern/vintage is very subtle... You might notice it if you don't play with any accompaniment, but same settings in a mix (and just switching voices), the difference becomes almost non-existent. The single coil settings are... Well.. different.

Don't get me wrong, I think all the sounds are very usable. Just that the vintage voice doesn't give you PAF and the single setting doesn't give you strat.

Space1999

Reaction score
I'll try to see if I can record some clean clips over the weekend. It's more like 2.5 voices cause the difference in modern/vintage is very subtle... You might notice it if you don't play with any accompaniment, but same settings in a mix (and just switching voices), the difference becomes almost non-existent. The single coil settings are... Well.. different.

Don't get me wrong, I think all the sounds are very usable. Just that the vintage voice doesn't give you PAF and the single setting doesn't give you strat.
Thank you for that feedback. I was wondering if the single setting was better than just the usual split coil that Epi does with so many of their guitars, Which is OK, but always lacks some volume and grit to them.

I have been long advocating that Epiphone put a push/pull on one of the tone knobs like my Trad II LP that jacks up the gain so as to make up for the sudden drop in volume when engaging the split coils on their guitars or just for a +6 db bump for soloing like what mine is intended for/

I thought active pu’s might have made a difference,

Thanks again for the feedback.

Pat

Space1999

Reaction score
I own a 1971 Medallion Series V, these Epiphone V's are unbelievable.

I can't wait to see the look on the Gibson cork sniffer crowd.... I'll be serving the cheese with the whine
😉
I was watching a review of the Epi Prophecy’s and I guess Fishman Fluency pu’s have been a big game changer for Metal but were mostly found in ESP’s but now Epiphone is going head long at the competition for that market and setting it at a nice price point to be competitive. :)

Pat

Bartrock

Reaction score

That's exactly what I think.But the sounds are very fine and usable indeed.I do not plan taking the Fishman's out and replace them with DiMarzio-what is almost standard with me.I really like 'em.

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
Here's a quick recording of various tones. Apologies for the lack of explanation or talking etc... I didn't have time to make a better video (been dealing with some water leakage issues from my neighbor above all weekend). The positions are listed in the timestamps.

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
I was watching a review of the Epi Prophecy’s and I guess Fishman Fluency pu’s have been a big game changer for Metal but were mostly found in ESP’s but now Epiphone is going head long at the competition for that market and setting it at a nice price point to be competitive. :)

Pat
I heard from some floor associate at GC, that Epiphone has less QC issues than Gibson.
Since Gibson is using Epiphone to stay a float, it would be logical that Epiphone would be first to experiment in the pickup / tone department .

Gotta love Epiphone !!!!

Space1999

Reaction score
Here's a quick recording of various tones. Apologies for the lack of explanation or talking etc... I didn't have time to make a better video (been dealing with some water leakage issues from my neighbor above all weekend). The positions are listed in the timestamps.

Thank you so much @NoodlingGuitars for that video! I really got a full spectrum view of the versatility of these new pu’s. I really appreciate you putting in the time to do this.

I think everyone was spot on about the lack of difference between vintage and modern distortion BUT all the rest of the tones were very much so completely different.

The bridge and neck pu really do sound fantastic. I heard some outstanding blues sounds coming from that video as well as nice crunchy and a very different sounding clean sound coming from the modern voicing compared to the vintage.

I did not notice much of a drop of volume in the single coil arrangements either.

I think these guitars are too good of a deal to pass up even though I don’t need another guitar.

Now which one? LOL

Pat

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
Oh yes, one thing people don’t mention that much is no drop in volume in the single coil sounds! They don’t really sound all that single coil-like, but definitely an increase in punch. Versatility-wise, these are definitely up there as long as the player isn’t too focused on having an exact replica of [insert favorite vintage tone/player’s] sound.

About which one - one thing to note (and this really goes to cost) - getting a soft carrying case that fits the V is difficult. I ended up with a gator one and it BARELY fits (see below - it fits better if you remove the bottom cushion thing). Hard cases are not an issue. Your wouldn’t have these problems with the LP or SG.

20220611_135002.jpg