Inexpensive Pedals, Multi Effects Units, Pickups and other gear that surprised you.

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
Back in the 1980's, I was a traveling touring musician and I was in need of a Rockman style headphone style amp.
I was in Massachusetts and I went into the Daddy's Used Music store , it was a great North Eastern music chain store.
I asked the gentleman behind the counter if he had any headphone amps, he said, " No, but I got a decent headphone amp for the fraction of the price of the Rockman.
He pulled out an Arion Hot Watt 2, the chorus was perfectly transparent, not over baring, the distortion was nothing more than a light version of Ibanez Tubescreamer.
One day at a soundcheck, I plugged the Hot Watt through the effects loop of my amp. That Hot Watt replaced my Boss Super Distortion/ Feedbacker and Tubescreamer.

Davis Sharp

Reaction score
I bought a couple of Arion pedals in the 80s because I could not afford Boss. I still have them and the Stereo Chorus fetches a decent price on eBay. I think they are underrated. Too bad they went out of business.

Almost all my pedals are inexpensive: Donner, Mooer, etc. Good enough for my basement.

BGood

Reaction score
I have an old Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger with a silver tag. Dunno if it's an early model or the tag just faded over time (they came out in 1997), but that thing is sweeeet. Haven't had such an organic chorus on any modelers I've had.

IMG_2535.JPG

BGood

Reaction score
Another one that kind of surprised me is the Vox Stomplab I just got. I had a Tonelab EX before for a few years and really liked it, but eventually sold it. Then, when I bought my MV50 amp, I knew I needed reverb and or delay on it. I tried some inexpensive pedals, but wansn't getting near what I was looking for. Then I saw the Stomplab. I figured, same builder same quality effects ... hmmm why not. I wasn't desapointed, it's really good. As good as the Tonelab but in a smaller less fancy package. The Tonelab had a few more modulations, few more pedals, one more delay type, an expression pedal and more tweaks. But the Stompbox doesn't leave me short on fun and quality. For $60 CAD, it was a no brainer.

You could say I'm favorably biased towards Vox products and I wouldn't deny it :fingersx:

Stomplab $65.jpg

mikezballz

Reaction score
Back in the 1980's, I was a traveling touring musician and I was in need of a Rockman style headphone style amp.
I was in Massachusetts and I went into the Daddy's Used Music store , it was a great North Eastern music chain store.
I asked the gentleman behind the counter if he had any headphone amps, he said, " No, but I got a decent headphone amp for the fraction of the price of the Rockman.
He pulled out an Arion Hot Watt 2, the chorus was perfectly transparent, not over baring, the distortion was nothing more than a light version of Ibanez Tubescreamer.
One day at a soundcheck, I plugged the Hot Watt through the effects loop of my amp. That Hot Watt replaced my Boss Super Distortion/ Feedbacker and Tubescreamer.

mikezballz

Reaction score
I did the same thing with my Arion Hot Watt back in the 80's too and found the chorus & distortion to my liking....actually I wouldn't mind havin' another one of those.I've kinda half assed searched for one at different times.I bought the one I had at the Guitar Center in Hollywood because,like you:Cheaper than a Rockman plus it sounded better to me...

mikezballz

Reaction score
Likewise.
View attachment 11154

Biggest bang for the buck though has to be the Carvin pickups. Love those.
Hey buddy,what is your opinion of the Danelectro pedals?I was just wonderin' because I'm lookin' to buy one of the double cutaway models similar to one J.Page plays.I'm writin' a short history piece on Danelectro for my blog...allguitars.xyz….check my site if you get a chance..I will be publishing the Danelectro thing soon but I have other things.

soulman969

Reaction score
also another thing how is the Hardwire pedal..Delay/Looper???

I have one and like all of the other Hardwire pedals it's a very good delay pedal. The RV-7 Reverb is the best I've ever used. I also have a Hardiwire Tuner, Phaser, and Chorus.

They're all very good pedals. Many built in options, very well built with silent switching similar to BOSS. No longer made and with some tougher to find but worth the effort.

soulman969

Reaction score
My "find" is the Zoom B3 Bass multi-effects unit. Although is has 90+ other effects, preamps, compressors, etc. I use mine for the amp/cab emulations.

zoom-b3-full.jpg

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
Likewise.
View attachment 11154

Biggest bang for the buck though has to be the Carvin pickups. Love those.

I love the M22SD, C22 and AP 11.
I find the M22SD, is probably the inspiration for Steve Vai in going to Dimarzio to create the Evolution pickup. I find the M22SD to be Eq'ed very similar to the Evolution, except the M22SD has better bass definition, more upper mids and definitely better treble response than the Evolution.

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
I did the same thing with my Arion Hot Watt back in the 80's too and found the chorus & distortion to my liking....actually I wouldn't mind havin' another one of those.I've kinda half assed searched for one at different times.I bought the one I had at the Guitar Center in Hollywood because,like you:Cheaper than a Rockman plus it sounded better to me...

I still have mine. It blends in much better into a distorting amp ....it's really like a upper mid / treble booster and it's a lot more dynamic than a Tube Sceamer.
I seen one for sale on Reverb , a couple of months ago, sold for $99.00.

Oakman29

Reaction score
Well I am extremely happy with this Positive Grid Spark amplifier.
There are just so many pedals, amps, tones you can get from it.
Amazing really.

creek

Reaction score
352E0989-62D3-4236-9F2E-DDC277CC5F1C.jpeg
This was one of my first pedals

John

Reaction score
This is my second one and the only pedal I use. My first one finally gave up the ghost a few weeks ago. I am nothing more than a easy playing noodler so this pedal works perfectly for me and sounds incredible.

b591.jpg

Dudemeister

Reaction score
When it comes to effects and stuff, I've had more than my fair share. for the longest time, I used to use and MXR EQ. That was my go to gadget beside the amp, then I really got into it, I had a Roland GR1 (Still have it in a closet), various other pedals mostly Digitech. Then got into computer based modelling (Guitar Rig and Amplitube), then discovered the Zoom Multi-effect pedals.

I have a Zoom G3x as well as a G5, but I prefer the compactness of the G3X, and the fact that it can be powered from a battery as well as USB or AC adapter. For me those are the best bang for the buck.

I also have a couple of the VOX headphone amps called AmPlug. I have a metal and an AC30 models. Those are pretty good for no frills, plug it into your guitar and a set of headphones and go at it.