NGD, SG, what do I have here?

mountainhick

Reaction score
MySG-crop.jpg

Happy new SG owner!

Made in Korea, Serial number S51088** according to online sources put this at 1985 or 95, Samick factory. The 1995 catalog I found online shows what looks like this one, G400?

Pickups 7.9 and 8.4K. Does this help date it at all?

Plays great, Wondering what it's average value is today. It is in excellent shape. seems like it wasn't even played to speak of. No fret wear, no dents dings etc., just the slightest evidence of handling. No intention of selling, too good! Just curious.

BGood

Reaction score
That is a 1995 G400 with Alnico Classic humbuckers. It is worth the same as any old G400 if you look it up on the web. Regional availability mostly dictates the asking prices.

That is a nice one you found. Contrary to G400s made after 2005, it is without veneer. I had a 1998 for a while.

Enjoy it.

mountainhick

Reaction score
Had some time to start getting to know this guitar. Don't need no stinking Gibsons! LOL! This thing is great! Actually surprised by it's versatility, does a whole lot really well. I've had a love hate relationship with an Epi Les Paul, plays super well, but ergonomics kill me. This SG is comfy and does everything the Paul does just as well, sometimes better! I think the SG pickups are better too.

3bolt79

Reaction score
View attachment 18692

Happy new SG owner!

Made in Korea, Serial number S51088** according to online sources put this at 1985 or 95, Samick factory. The 1995 catalog I found online shows what looks like this one, G400?

Pickups 7.9 and 8.4K. Does this help date it at all?

Plays great, Wondering what it's average value is today. It is in excellent shape. seems like it wasn't even played to speak of. No fret wear, no dents dings etc., just the slightest evidence of handling. No intention of selling, too good! Just curious.
Well, I just put up a 2022 Epiphone SG Special for 400 bucks plus shipping. And I’ve had hundreds of views across three forums. If I can’t sell that thing for 400 dollars, I would have to say that yours is worth much less than that.

Epii’s are great guitars, but the depreciation on them is severe. If I can’t sell mine by the weekend, I may just keep it. I was just trying to offset some of the cost of the Les Paul I just ordered.

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
Well, I just put up a 2022 Epiphone SG Special for 400 bucks plus shipping. And I’ve had hundreds of views across three forums. If I can’t sell that thing for 400 dollars, I would have to say that yours is worth much less than that.

Epii’s are great guitars, but the depreciation on them is severe. If I can’t sell mine by the weekend, I may just keep it. I was just trying to offset some of the cost of the Les Paul I just ordered.
They are... I've purchased near mint ones for around (US$ equivalent of) $200-$250 - stickers still intact and all. And then you have crazy people trying to sell Lazarus for $3k....

mountainhick

Reaction score

I'm confused, brand new Specials go for as low as $179 on Guitar Center.

I did check around on the internet and in a couple local music and pawn shops since posting this thread. G400s generally $250-400 used, many with significant defects. My G400 was mistaken as a Special by the Store and sold dirt cheap. I'd guesstimate reasonable value at $300-350. It is in pristine shape. But, I'm not looking to sell it! Just nice to know what I actually have here.

Equalphone

Reaction score
I'm confused, brand new Specials go for as low as $179 on Guitar Center.

I did check around on the internet and in a couple local music and pawn shops since posting this thread. G400s generally $250-400 used, many with significant defects. My G400 was mistaken as a Special by the Store and sold dirt cheap. I'd guesstimate reasonable value at $300-350. It is in pristine shape. But, I'm not looking to sell it! Just nice to know what I actually have here.

Specials are bolt-on neck. The G400 is a set neck. $450 US most places (new). Used seems to have jumped and is still hanging high like you said at $300 to $350 - at least for asking price. I don't know if any of them are selling.

Latest posts