Noisy P90 in the new Coronet

BGood

Reaction score
So I found this Jared James Nichols rig rundown that's full of P90s and they hum just like my Coronet. You can hear the hum as he plays and he's constantly riding the volume knob. He even addresses the issue at one point.
So I guess there really is nothing unusual about my guitar :)

Like I said, embrace the hum.

BGood

Reaction score
Btw I think that is why P94 pickups (humbuckers that sound close to P90s) were invented.
Wrong about the P94. A P94 is a hot single coil hidden under a humbucker size cover. Like a Strat hot single coil. It is still a noisy single coil.

P94 on the left, P90 on the right.​
P94-P90.jpg

You probably meant a stacked P100, which is two bobbins one on top of the other that acts like (it actually is) a humbucker.

P100 X2.jpg

BlueSquirrel

Reaction score
Wrong about the P94. A P94 is a hot single coil hidden under a humbucker size cover. Like a Strat hot single coil. It is still a noisy single coil.

P94 on the left, P90 on the right.​
View attachment 20583

You probably meant a stacked P100, which is two bobbins one on top of the other that acts like (it actually is) a humbucker.

@BGood Oh, you're totally right!
I apologize, thank you very much for pointing out my mistake! 😅

andare

Reaction score
Do you use a lot of gain / effects?
I found that playing with gain made the hum more noticeable.

Btw I think that is why P94 pickups (humbuckers that sound close to P90s) were invented.
Just preamp tube gain. I also have a few fuzz pedals, which are not too crazy noisy if I keep the amp cleanish. I bought this guitar for rock tones, however.

andare

Reaction score
👆 This.

And I guess if riding the knob isn't your thing and you want to use moar gainnzzzz, there's always the ISP Decimator.
Riding the knob IS my thing, I just need knobs with more grip than these slippery ones for faster operation.
I really don't want to use a noise gate, the hum only bothers me while I play - noise gates can't help with that - but I'm learning to embrace it alright :)

LP_SPC_1_P90

Reaction score
The 2017 Epi LP Special P90 that I have makes an annoying noise too, but that's because the pickups are that sensitive & the sustain on this guitar seems to go on forever. Even if the string vibration is so minute & ceased being music at a certain point. It's definitely from intentional picking of the strings only. At first, I thought it might have been from some type of electromagnetic issue where the strings would vibrate from proximity to an amp as a feedback problem. At a certain point, I just mute the offending string(s) and that kills the annoying vibration. It won't vibrate on it's own for proximity to an amp at full (or any lower level for that matter) volume. The string(s) are still vibrating well beyond 25-30 seconds for that noise. I guess I should feel blessed to have a guitar with that much sustain even though it's unusable white noise for string vibration and not a sustained discernible note any longer ?

Perhaps a noise gate in the signal chain as a possible solution to elimiinate anything from guitar to input jack of the amp ?

Last edited:

andare

Reaction score
The 2017 Epi LP Special P90 that I have makes an annoying noise too, but that's because the pickups are that sensitive & the sustain on this guitar seems to go on forever. Even if the string vibration is so minute & ceased being music at a certain point. It's definitely from intentional picking of the strings only. At first, I thought it might have been from some type of electromagnetic issue where the strings would vibrate from proximity to an amp as a feedback problem. At a certain point, I just mute the offending string(s) and that kills the annoying vibration. It won't vibrate on it's own for proximity to an amp at full (or any lower level for that matter) volume. The string(s) are still vibrating well beyond 25-30 seconds for that noise. I guess I should feel blessed to have a guitar with that much sustain even though it's unusable white noise for string vibration and not a sustained discernible note any longer ?

Perhaps a noise gate in the signal chain as a possible solution to elimiinate anything from guitar to input jack of the amp ?
Paul Reed Smith says a good guitar has a 45 second sustain :)
What you describe sounds like good old muting the strings you're not playing.

ThreeChordWonder

Reaction score

My Epi SG P90 makes an annoying noise too.

But that's my fault.

LP_SPC_1_P90

Reaction score
Paul Reed Smith says a good guitar has a 45 second sustain :)
What you describe sounds like good old muting the strings you're not playing.
I'll hold you & PRS to that quote. I just don't count sustain as sustain when the sustain becomes an annoying vibration more than it is music. I thought I was muting the other strings, the one's that weren't vibrating on forever that is. But that was because I wasn't picking that (those) individual string(s). Usually the low & high E's that won't be included in a strumming motion. Nothing was rattling as loose. It's more a low droning noise for the heavier wound strings, the higher pitched strings, at a certain point of the sustain's duration, sounds like an annoying mosquito feint buzzing close enough to your ear.

I always felt this particular guitar felt & sounded better than what my smaller sampling of instruments was limited to for best of what the sample size has been. Neck is 8.2k, Bridge 9.2k for DCR & it's not even a heavier LP for weight. The P90's on this one seem to out Country music & Telecaster twang the 2 Telecasters I have. None of my affordable guitars is a dog though, I found it's more how good the set up is that determines 99% of the good/bad guitar. And I eventually tweak them to what I prefer for as good a setup as I think can be accomplished with any given build. I'll spend the first few days setting one up, adjusting and then letting the parts play or settle in. I've been lucky for that, only needed one that had to be shimmed for the neck pocket. The others were a matter of saddle height & intonation, maybe a minor truss rod tweaking. It's the microadjustments that drag out the process of a set up. And for me the hardest set up aspect is always the pickup heights.

Last edited:

Latest posts