Pickup enhancement, boost and over all enhancement... with one stomp.

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
20220725_215855.jpg

I put one upfront on my pedalboard to enhance my humbucker, single coils and a 6 dB boost before going into my Decibel Eleven Loop Expander , with the buffer engaged .

The second one is at the end of my pedalboard to boost the over all signal by 6db. It's like having an extra tube for driving long cable lengths and it increases dynamics.

This pedal is probably one of the best Booster pedals ever.
Seymour Duncan's newer versions of the Pickup Booster has a zero setting for boost and now comes in black.
All versions of the Pickup Booster have a true bypass feature.

Last edited:

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
My Decibel Eleven Loop Expander has a Class A buffer as the 2nd pedal in my pedalboard , a Mosky Pure Buffer before my other SD Pickup Booster to drive my signal.

Recently, found an old EHX LPB 1 Booster that I got way back in 1979 and I had to resolder a wire in its terminal.
I tried it out over my headset set , it was sinister. The Pickup Booster booster, , is much cleaner.

That LPB 1 used to drive my old Princeton Amp into the Marshall zone .

What do you use Raiyn , to drive your amp ?

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
An hour later....

Doh, missed that. I've been snagging different buffer pedals and eq pedals lately trying different stuff. Had a bit of tunnel vision.

I call it " gear goggles " .
Them effects loops do add a new dimension to tone shaping.
I have an effects loop in my Digitech RP-1 with an Arion How Watt 2, one in my Digitech 2112 SGS 362 Sonic Maximizer and a Hush / Rocktron Super C and BBE 482 Sonic Maximizer running in both effects loops in my two Crate Power Blocks.

Some times, if you run a delay, reverb or modulation thru the front input, you get some vintage dirty saturation from your effects.
Running modulation, delay and reverb thru the effects loop will clean thing up to sound more modern.

What are going to run thru your effects loop ?

Last edited:

soulman969

Reaction score
I play a lot of single coil pickups so having a clean boost on the front end of my pedal chain is a must. The increased signal strength just makes everything come more "alive" and I can drive the amp harder with less volume. It just fills everything out so well.

Here's my old war horse and this is a reissue of the original 80s version I had that got stolen one night most likely by someone who knew just how good that pedal was. The newer version has the same circuit but lacks the balanced out jack and it's a bit more modern looking.

tc pedal.JPG

Raiyn

Reaction score
What are going to run thru your effects loop ?
I haven't fully narrowed it down. I've got three different delays, (both analog and digital) three different chorus pedals, two different tremolos (harmonic and "regular" ) a phaser, a flanger, a reverb with multiple types and one that only does spring but has this really cool crash feature when you kick it off balance.

The drive section is about the same.

What'll probably happen is that I'll "retire" the large O.G. Danelectro pedals and substitute ones I built as there's a good amount of overlap.
danelectro_guitar_effects_-_side_of_gibson_guitar_robot_v1-jpg.6237

Not my picture, but this is the original run. I managed to get all of them.

I've got a Danelectro Billionaire Boost on the current board - it never even occurred to me to use it as a "unity" effect to get the singles on the same level as the humbuckers. I'm usually playing one or the other and viewed it more as a "solo" boost type of thing.

Usually, I just dink around with stuff until I find a combination of stuff I like.

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
I haven't fully narrowed it down. I've got three different delays, (both analog and digital) three different chorus pedals, two different tremolos (harmonic and "regular" ) a phaser, a flanger, a reverb with multiple types and one that only does spring but has this really cool crash feature when you kick it off balance.

The drive section is about the same.

What'll probably happen is that I'll "retire" the large O.G. Danelectro pedals and substitute ones I built as there's a good amount of overlap.
danelectro_guitar_effects_-_side_of_gibson_guitar_robot_v1-jpg.6237

Not my picture, but this is the original run. I managed to get all of them.

I've got a Danelectro Billionaire Boost on the current board - it never even occurred to me to use it as a "unity" effect to get the singles on the same level as the humbuckers. I'm usually playing one or the other and viewed it more as a "solo" boost type of thing.

Usually, I just dink around with stuff until I find a combination of stuff I like.

Some of those little pedals have a one of a kind MOJO.
A friend of mine, has a Helix and he has a little Dano pedal that hits a sweet spot in his Helix and amp.
To him and his ear, it has a touch that none of the overdrives or distortions in his Helix lacks.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Some of those little pedals have a one of a kind MOJO.
A friend of mine, has a Helix and he has a little Dano pedal
While I get what you're saying, little is the wrong word to describe these pedals.

These aren't the similarly shaped little plastic "food" series pedals.
R.7572c14be6784884e65da9df87623580

These are big heavy bastiges.
1534977793145-jpg.7532

Thick diecast metal housings, bigger than a standard Boss size pedal and heavy. If Tonka made guitar pedals back in the early 60's, this is what they'd be like.

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
Dano pedals get a bad rap, but the sounds they give, blows the negativity away.
Years ago, a friend let me plug a Dano overdrive pedal and it hit a sweet spot in my VHT Pitbull, much better with a hell of a lot better dynamics than
the Boss Distortion pedal I was using at the time.

What I love about the SD SFX-1 Pickup Booster, is the way it alters pickups ( when 1st in the board, put it after distortion, it makes the distortion more dynamic and at the end of the board, a nice line driver.

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
I play a lot of single coil pickups so having a clean boost on the front end of my pedal chain is a must. The increased signal strength just makes everything come more "alive" and I can drive the amp harder with less volume. It just fills everything out so well.

Here's my old war horse and this is a reissue of the original 80s version I had that got stolen one night most likely by someone who knew just how good that pedal was. The newer version has the same circuit but lacks the balanced out jack and it's a bit more modern looking.

View attachment 18322

A friend of mine had a similar pedal back in the 90's .
The option of just having it as a boost is a plus.
Heck, you could have a great distortion and use this to add to your favorite overdrive or distortion pedal.
And from what I remembered about that similar TC pedal, the distortion on it, didn't kill dynamics like most distortion / Booster pedals.

soulman969

Reaction score
A friend of mine had a similar pedal back in the 90's .
The option of just having it as a boost is a plus.
Heck, you could have a great distortion and use this to add to your favorite overdrive or distortion pedal.
And from what I remembered about that similar TC pedal, the distortion on it, didn't kill dynamics like most distortion / Booster pedals.
There was an original version produced in the 80s that looked different.
1659328521960.png
I had this one until it was stolen one night. The Red Classic version has the same circuit but a different layout and it lacks the XLR out of the original. But both are as transparent as any pedal I've ever played.

Also having both bass and treble pots helps me to tweak any minor changes to a guitars basic voicing I might want to do. They're subtle but effective. This is one pedal I absolutely refuse to play without.

It's also a damn good overdrive pedal that at very high gain settings can nearly reach the kind of sustain a fuzz pedal has but without the annoying nasal tonality of most fuzz pedals. I love this pedal.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Dano pedals get a bad rap, but the sounds they give, blows the negativity away.
Most of the time, they're tweaked clones of other pedals. The main knock I have against the O.G.'s is their physical size and shape. Rectangular pedals are easier to deal with on a board - especially when you're playing things out. Ideally, they'd all have their jacks on the "north" wall ie:
20210930_234752-jpg.16615

Conversely, having the jacks on the side of an already wide pedal.... 😖