Ready to pull the trigger on a Les Paul '59

Daniel Desmarais

Reaction score
Pulled the trigger. This is the one I went with:

my les paul.PNG

I like the flame below the stop tail, that is ALMOST looks bookmatched, and the visible flame between the pickups, and that the finish is faint enough to see the flame up near the selector switch.

Should arrive Wednesday. Can't wait!

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
Ah interesting - so they call this aged honey burst? It looks nice and a bit different than your normal honey bursts! I always thought the naming convention was that for the ones without the darker edge covering the bottom of the body were called "fades"

Raiyn

Reaction score

View attachment 17452

I like the flame below the stop tail, that is ALMOST looks bookmatched, and the visible flame between the pickups, and that the finish is faint enough to see the flame up near the selector switch.

It's quite Orange isn't it? I actually really dig that "not your basic burst" vibe.

Fadtoz

Reaction score

View attachment 17452

That looks great. You are going to enjoy that.

Daniel Desmarais

Reaction score
I just checked the Sweetwater web site. They are down to their last two Aged Honey Burst guitars. That means I got the last good figured maple top.

Yay me!

syco

Reaction score
I just checked the Sweetwater web site. They are down to their last two Aged Honey Burst guitars. That means I got the last good figured maple top.

Yay me!
My sales Engineer Zach says they have 3 Cherry and 2 more Honey burst currently acclimating ( probably didn't spell that right ) , but they have been know to lie on occasion . Anywho .......... Beautiful looking guitar , I think you will fully enjoy it and it will become a permanent fixture in your guitar gallery/catalog .

Daniel Desmarais

Reaction score
Delivery is scheduled for today. But I'm at work (booo).

I'm keeping one eye on my phone, watching the tracking link Sweetwater e-mailed to me so I'll know when it lands in my driveway.

Daniel Desmarais

Reaction score
Man, part of the reason I wanted a Les Paul is because the hips were smaller than my 335. I figured it would be more "handy" to play.

But MAN, this baby is a brick!

I totally don't trust the strap to keep it up. I've got a set of Schaller S-Locks on my bench. When I get home from work I'm putting those on the '59.

You know I always thought the 339 was kind of a dumb idea, but that might be the way to go. I'd have to upgrade the pickups. And the wiring.

God, this GAS thing never ends, does it?

Raiyn

Reaction score
Man, part of the reason I wanted a Les Paul is because the hips were smaller than my 335. I figured it would be more "handy" to play.
:hmm:

But MAN, this baby is a brick!
There it is. :D Lester, catching the unaware since 1952.

So I'm guessing you're typically a seated player?
May I be so bold as to suggest an offset like a Jaguar or a Jazzmaster / G&L Doheny? They were initially designed for seated Jazz muscians.

Daniel Desmarais

Reaction score
I’ve got a beer belly like a beer keg. Acoustic or electric, I always play with a strap. I adjust the strap so that the guitar hangs at the same level, same angle, seated or standing.

Raiyn

Reaction score
I’ve got a beer belly like a beer keg. Acoustic or electric, I always play with a strap. I adjust the strap so that the guitar hangs at the same level, same angle, seated or standing.
Well. I'm not what anyone would call svelte myself, and if pressed I'd say that my Doheny is the single most comfortable guitar I own. That'd be followed by the Jag, and my G400. YMMV. :cheers:

Daniel Desmarais

Reaction score
So I picked up my '59 earlier. I knew I would only have a minute so I don' bother plugging it in to the amp. I just played a few chords & scales on it unplugged.

She sounds great UNPLUGGED. I always heard that if an electric guitar sounds great unplugged then you can be sure that it will have great tone plugged it, which the '59 absolutely does.

Just one more point showing what we all already knew - These Epiphone '59 Les Pauls are some awesome guitars. I'm so glad I've got mine.

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
That looks SOOO much better in real life than the pics on Sweetwater. Congrats!!