The Stones were right

Otto99

Reaction score
They said it best with ”what a drag it is getting old.” Met with an orthopedist this morning, took several x-rays, and basically said he’ll be calling the surgeon at the orthopedic clinic to discuss my imminent hip replacement. He certainly knew his stuff and was obviously the recipient of a Major Award*, proudly displayed in the waiting room, so he has my confidence.
A4863497-F672-412C-9E3C-C7C7E5A9805E.jpeg
*For those not getting the reference, that’s a line from the movie “A Christmas Story.”

BGood

Reaction score
Friends of mine had it done, both sides. It's not what it used to be. Last one said it took all of 45 minutes for one hip and was less scary than going to the dentist. A week later he was walking without a cane.

Good luck.

Otto99

Reaction score
Friends of mine had it done, both sides. It's not what it used to be. Last one said it took all of 45 minutes for one hip and was less scary than going to the dentist. A week later he was walking without a cane.

Good luck.
A friend of our had one done in 2003, and was in the hospital on a morphine drip for four days. Her last one, done last year, was considered an outpatient procedure, and she was home that evening with mild pain meds. And I’m told this will also address my back issues, so I’m all for it!

Lancpudn

Reaction score
Good luck with the surgery & what a bonus if it sorts your back out as well.

Raiyn

Reaction score
My brother had both of his done and while he's not running cross country anymore, he gets around pretty good.

mgenet

Reaction score
My mother-in-law used to say that getting old was not for sissies.
I thought, at the time, it was real quaint and just a reason to complain.
Now? Not so much.

Best of luck otto and I am sure you will be back on the Forum real soon.

Also see if you can grab that lamp. It IS a treasure for sure.

Whitefang

Reaction score
I sometimes jest that with all the health issues I'm going through it's pretty bad for me being only 30 years old.

When some look puzzled and ask what I'm talking about I explain;

"I was always told, 'Life begins at 40', which makes me only 30!" 😁
Y'all can do the math. 😉

Whitefang

Otto99

Reaction score
Tomorrow is the day! I can’t freakin’ wait, as I’ve exhausted all our Advil, Alleve, Tylenol, stashed prescription Lortab, and anything else we could find. I’m pretty sure they’re going to want me off all NSAIDs a week before the surgery, so I may spend that week slightly drunk. Its really hurting now, and is affecting every aspect of my life. And then there’s @Digger, out slashing and burning his not insignificant part of the outback, 10 years my senior. I’m an old, soft Yank. Might as well own up!

Lancpudn

Reaction score
Good luck Greg & fingers crossed for you too for successful surgery & an end to the pain.

Otto99

Reaction score
Met the surgeon yesterday, and while he acknowledged that the procedure is a lot less complicated than in the past, he pretty much debunked all the folks who said I’ll be dancing in two weeks. I‘ll get around with a walker for a week or so and a cane after (gotta find a cool cane!) for another 2-3 weeks. And that really sounds more realistic.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Met the surgeon yesterday, and while he acknowledged that the procedure is a lot less complicated than in the past, he pretty much debunked all the folks who said I’ll be dancing in two weeks. I‘ll get around with a walker for a week or so and a cane after (gotta find a cool cane!) for another 2-3 weeks. And that really sounds more realistic.
Now where would an arts and crafts guy find a cane....?

:beer:

Otto99

Reaction score
Now where would an arts and crafts guy find a cane....?

:beer:
Well, Etsy of course, and I can’t let style sway me over substance. But there’s this one with a telescope in the handle, and I just want it!

Raiyn

Reaction score
Well, Etsy of course, and I can’t let style sway me over substance. But there’s this one with a telescope in the handle, and I just want it!
I was thinking your arts market, but ok!

BGood

Reaction score
Nobody sells canes that I’ve seen. Besides, you know how much those “arteests” charge! 🤣
How much do your preferred musical arteest charge for a single seat at one single show ?

Digger

Reaction score
I Made myself a cane. I used a branch that I’d pruned off a cherry tree, shaved and sanded the bark off, put a couple of coats of Estapol on it and a stopper and it’s been great for years.

Nobody had one quite like mine!