Top Gun 2 Maverick

Digger

Reaction score
Releases here today I think and release may be synchronised worldwide?

I loved the original Top Gun but if course I was much younger then, just about knew it word for word.

As I said I was younger then!

I haven’t been to the movies for years and it’s tempting, however it may just be more American Macho Bvllsh!t than I can handle these days?

If anyone does see it, then I'd be interested in their impressions.

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
I'm hyped for it. Wondering if it'll become the next home theatre test film like back in the day...
They've got all sorts of silly tie-ups with the movie too (like a promotion campaign with Uma Musume, a very popular cellphone game).

soulman969

Reaction score
I was a huge fan of the first one and this one appears to have far more plot twists so I suppose I'll want to see it but I may wait 'til it's being streamed.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
I regard the original as one of the most horrendously bad movies to ever be a success - maybe even as bad as Mission Impossible - so I will avoid this one like the plague it no doubt will be.

Saw a magician once who asked a girl in the audience who her favorite actor was; she said Tom Cruise. He said "Oh, yeah; he's great. I especially liked that one where he played the cocky young guy!" (He then, of course, pulled a pic of Tom from the envelop he was holding).

But that film was so bad it would have sucked even with an actor in the lead.

Digger

Reaction score
I don’t admire Cruise as an actor though a few things I’ve seen in later years weren’t bad, but I do admire his guts in being the action man he portrays.

Raiyn

Reaction score
SWMBO hasn't forgiven Mr. Cruise for "Jack Reacher" - a character described as a blond, muscular, 6'5" 250lbs being played by a guy who *might* be 5'7" and 170lbs soaking wet.

Digger

Reaction score
SWMBO hasn't forgiven Mr. Cruise for "Jack Reacher" - a character described as a blond, muscular, 6'5" 250lbs being played by a guy who *might* be 5'7" and 170lbs soaking wet.
That did it for me and as someone that has read all the Jack Reacher books, putting shortarse in that role was ridiculous. Before that War of The Worlds had so many illogicalities in it I was put off him totally. A great story turned into Hollywood drivel!

Whitefang

Reaction score
I loved the original Top Gun but if course I was much younger then, just about knew it word for word.
Really, I don't think I was ever that young. 😉

Sure, it did have it's fans, but I wasn't. And quickly got tired of the constant hype. And that silly song that, IMHO, should have NEVER been nominated for an Oscar, let alone win.

Whitefang

Otto99

Reaction score
I didn’t hate the original, but I wouldn’t watch it again. What I do hate about the original is that horrible song by Berlin.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Ha! I love it! There’s a new approach to Jack Reacher on Amazon Prime iirc, and the guy cast as Jack looks far more appropriate.
She seems happier with that casting. To be honest, I haven't consumed any of it.

Digger

Reaction score
I must go back and read a Jack Reacher again to see if I still like it. I think there’s one on Foxtel ATM but it’s peobably the one with Cruise in which case I will never watch it.
Some people hate it but my favorite Tom Cruise movie is Eyes Wide Shut.
Being the deep thinker I am I watched it for all the nudity~

Davis Sharp

Reaction score
The original TG was feel good action movie with the standard script of hubris, humility, and redemption. It may have been good recruiting for the navy too. The songs suited the movie. It is what it is.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
I always loved that Anne Rice, when she heard of his signing, said "Casting Tom Cruise as Lestat is like replacing John Wayne with Wally Cox."

Raiyn

Reaction score
Ouch! third degree burn!
R.25c2ea5126fee57bdb92172afea91239

Reaction score
Watched top gun 2 in 4Dx the other day... honestly probably one of the best movie "experiences".
For those that don't know, 4dx has effects inside the cinema that coincide with the movie... so moving seats - side to side, back and forth, but also parts of the seats move, so the back rest gives you a bit of a kick, there are vents in the headrest that fire jets of air at you, the cinema itself has strobe lighting, a snow making machine (?!?!?), smoke, water mist... and for a film like top gun, with the jets, dog fights, violent fast turns... it was just brilliant.

If you get the chance to watch it in 4dx just do it!!!

Latest posts