What are your favorite pickups ?

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
My favorites are ( not in any particular order ).

Dimarzio
Evolution , Fast Track 2 , X2N, Chopper, Humbucker From Hell, Steve's Special, HS 3, Tone Zone, Fred, Air Norton.

Bill Lawrence ( from the mid 70's / early 80's )
XL 500, L 250, R 500, L 290.

Carvin
M 22 SD, C 22, V 22, AP 11.

Gibson
Iommi , Burstbuckers, Dirty Fingers .

Dragon Fire
Alnico 5 Vintage Screamers, Duo Rails, Fat Screamers, Screamers ceramic version.

GFS Pickups
Fat Pat's, Lil Killers (15k ohms), Mean 180, Dream 90, clearance Hex Over Wounds.

Seymour Duncan
Screamin' Demon, Pearly Gates, Custom Custom, Hot Rails.

Fender Custom Shop
69 , Texas Specials.

Schaller
S6, Actives.

What are you favorite pickups and why ?

Juke Box

Reaction score
I only play classic R&R. No metal or jazz.

Humbucker-SD Pearly Gates
Single coil- Fender Custom Shop Texas Special
P90- Kent Armstrong Dog Ears(I think the P90 is in its own group)

Pickups do matter. Got a guitar you never play and don't have a specific reason why not? Change pickups. You'll start playing that guitar more. You can hear the difference between the same model pickups in the same guitar. They all have voices like people. Rarely have I met twins that sound exactly identical.

Last edited:

IGRocker

Reaction score
I'm still hooked on my Wizz. They're crystal clear and have a classic PAF tone imo. The neck is almost acoustic like and the bridge has an awesome mid range. Perfect for any sort of classic rock

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
In no particular order,
Gibson: DF, minihumbuckers
GFS: 59 Vintage, Slick Old School, minicrunchy, Memphis Retrotrons
Epi: P-90s Alnico Classic Pros (not a fan of Probuckers really)

ChoKo

Reaction score
Seymour Duncan JB's are my current favorite bridge pickups. I have them in both of my SG's.

The custom made Snakepit Alnico II humbuckers made for me by SIN Pickups for my B.C. Rich Assassin are amazing. I also have them coil tapped. I really wish I had another couple of sets but the guy seems to have disappeared.

I used to have an Epiphone Dot with a Gibson Dirty Fingers in the bridge and I thought it sounded great. I'm gonna try one of them in one of my SG's and see if I like it more than the JB. If I do I'll be buying a second for the other SG.

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
No matter what guitar brand I get , I tend to put in new pickups.
In fact, a friend of mine has an Epiphone Black Beauty with three humbuckers hung upon his wall as a decoration, he's on the verge of selling it to me. If he caves in, I'm going to put a Carvin M22SD in the bridge, a GFS Over Wound 12.05k ohms clearance pickup in the middle, put a Seymour Duncan Screamin'Demon or a early 1980's Bill Lawrence XL-500 in the neck slot, put in some concentric / stacked knobs for each pickup and buy the new Floyd Rose drop in tremolo, so I won't need to router out the body.
If my friend sells it, I'm definitely going to post before and after pictures on this site. :dude:

Carl Pickle

Reaction score
I'm still hooked on my Wizz. They're crystal clear and have a classic PAF tone imo. The neck is almost acoustic like and the bridge has an awesome mid range. Perfect for any sort of classic rock
What kinda guitar you got IG..? I'm fix'n to buy a new one and can't decide what kind.