What did you do to your Epiphone today?

AJ6stringsting

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2015
Messages
440
Reaction score
428
Location
Central California
Some guitar techs are crooks, especially when the know the client is naive and new to the guitar.

My soldering has improved over the years.
I rewired a Strat, many years ago, that had two Fender Custom Shop " 69" with a non staggerd Schaller S6 (13.06k ohms ) at the bridge .... it was horrible 😢 😱
 

Raiyn

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2017
Messages
9,143
Reaction score
6,231
Location
St. Pete, FL
Looks great. Could you please post details of the parts you’ve used (tunes, knobs,buttons,covers). It would be good to know which upgrades definitely fit without modifications.
fordfanjpn left after 3 posts back in January.
 

Noodling Guitars

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2021
Messages
437
Reaction score
520
Installed a Dimarzio PAF 36th anniversary set. I kept the push/pull wiring. Since they were all pretty good alpha parts, no point in replacing them and went with splicing the connectors.

20220604_005331.jpg 20220604_004913.jpg 20220603_181204.jpg
 

BGood

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2015
Messages
4,596
Reaction score
5,649
Location
Sutton QC

Noodling Guitars

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2021
Messages
437
Reaction score
520
Johnny-5-is-alive-2.png
 

syco

Active Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2022
Messages
132
Reaction score
151
Location
Tuttle , Oklahoma
Removed "factory " strings , oiling fretboard . No cracking the "knuckles " on this one . Restring and set up later .
 

MeTheGuy

New Member
Joined
May 31, 2022
Messages
8
Reaction score
14
Took it out of its shipping box, tuned it. Took the factory strings off, oiled the ebony fretboard. Put new strings on, adjusted the truss rod. Adjusted the bridge and adjusted the truss rod. Etc etc. Played it!!
 

Noodling Guitars

Well-Known Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2021
Messages
437
Reaction score
520
So after a long deliberation, I decided to fix the exposed part of that husk I bought back during Christmas (see here). The part where the binding cracked was catching onto the interior of my gig bag and didn't really like that.

I could've used black epoxy, but since part of the repair involved reconstructing the binding, I chose this type of putty because the color is the closest to the binding.
20220612_175326.jpg 20220612_175722.jpg 20220612_180335.jpg

After a bit of sanding.
20220612_180335.jpg 20220613_205151.jpg

Airbrushed dark brown/black. It's not perfect, and if I look really close, you could tell that the repaired area has some wavy parts/ dips from not sanding that area completely uniform with the existing carve. I didn't prime to check before painting. But it serves its purpose. There's some cracking in the finish where the binding broke anyway and I didn't fix that since it was still intact. Now at least from playing distance it doesn't look broken anymore. Going to wait a few more days for the clear coat to completely cure before I polish. The putty's color and the existing binding isn't 100% exact, but then again - I think it's probably sufficient.

20220613_205854.jpg
20220613_222231.jpg 20220613_222242.jpg
 

BGood

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2015
Messages
4,596
Reaction score
5,649
Location
Sutton QC
GOOOD job ! My kind of repair, good enough for poor people my dad would say.

If mine I would have used a folded rag on the burst instead of tape, so the paint line was blurry. But still great as is.
 


Top