What did you do to your Epiphone today?

TheDrJFever

Reaction score
Finished upgrades on my LP Custom Silverburst.

LPCustom.jpg

‘20 Epiphone Les Paul Custom Silverburst
Neck pup - Gibson 57 Classic
Bridge pup - Gibson 57 Classic Plus
Emerson Custom Pots and Caps
Custom gold burst speed knobs
Grover Locking Keystone tuning machines
Schaller Locking strap buttons
Gibson TP-6 tailpiece
Roller bridge (not sure this will stay)

Last edited:

Keefoman

Reaction score
Swapped the rattly bridge on my Korina V to a Faber ABRM bridge.

52184395634_392f4a67cd_b.jpg

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
Rolls Royce? Classy!

It's actually a tribute to Randy Rhoads, the guitarist who died March 19th, 1982, who played on Ozzy Osbourne's " Blizzard Of Oz " and " Diary Of A Madman " Lp's.
He had those RR letters on his business cards , when he taught music at his Mother's music school .
I put some on my other two Randy Rhoads guitars too .

20220423_142044.jpg 20220423_135007.jpg

Last edited:

Darkness

Reaction score
Nice @AJ6stringsting I know who Mr. Randy Roads is, I never saw that logo before. The Ozzy Tribute album is one of my favorites.

Vdub66

Reaction score
First time post. I've got an Epi Les Paul 1960 Tribute plus that I dearly love. I also have a 2018 G-400 Pro that I liked, but didn't love. So, i tried sanding the cherry to give it a satin finish and that was ok, but visually, I still pictured Angus every time I looked at it. I love Angus and AC/DC, but I'm not really that style of player. But I kept coming back to the SG because I adore the neck. This past two weeks I decided to get rid of all the things i was not happy about and try to make my dream SG. I painted it a light blue, added a Tusq XL nut, added CTS pots and orange drop caps and put in some Bootstrap Hb90 cleans. Now, it's everything I was hoping for and has replaced my Telecaster as my #1.

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    427.4 KB · Views: 7
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    325.1 KB · Views: 7
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    371.2 KB · Views: 7

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
Swapped out the pickups for P-Rails /w Triple Shot rings. All I can say is... if you want P90 tone - don't buy these.

20220917_005413s.JPG

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
How do they sound in humbucker mode?
Comparing it to the probucker 2/3s that came off of it (and in series mode) - probucker 3 is much lower output and has more higher frequencies coming through (esp around the 1.5-2k range). P-Rails are high output and have a very pronounced hump at the 400-600hz range - so there's an oomph to it. Here's a VERY rough clip... Both Epis - one stock with Probucker 3 bridge - the other is the custom /w the P-Rails (humbucker series).

*edit* here's neck - PB2 then PRails series neck

(Sorry it's 3am and so didn't want to start rummaging through my closet to grab all my gear... just a very short clip - humbucker in parallel sounds very different).

Last edited:

Keefoman

Reaction score
The reason I asked was that I was very intrigued by these when they first came out many years ago. There hasn't been a whole lot of hallelujah, so to speak, so I guess they aren't that great. I'm sensing you feel the same way, though your sound samples sounds good. I'm still more convinced that those pickups aren't worth trying for me.

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
The reason I asked was that I was very intrigued by these when they first came out many years ago. There hasn't been a whole lot of hallelujah, so to speak, so I guess they aren't that great. I'm sensing you feel the same way, though your sound samples sounds good. I'm still more convinced that those pickups aren't worth trying for me.
I think you're right.. I really wouldn't recommend these other than just for the sake of having them to try and experiment with sounds.

I'm still a bit lost as to their use. They sound ok, but are neither here nor there.

As P90s they kind of fail, but sound decent as a fat single coil - in the sense that if I had a strat and wanted a PAF style humbucker-esque tone. They are clean and have a nice top end sparkle. But... I had PAF style humbucker tones before the swap - without the hum too? :io:

The rail mode is horrible imho. They sound very low mid heavy. This is probably the side contributing the low mid hump in humbucker mode.

Humbucker in series has a weird lower mid hump which works well overdriven and in high gain. but then again, tons of better humbuckers with a better sounding mid boost. Humbucker in parallel - sounds a bit thin. Overall, the stock PBs sounded better.

That being said, it does give you a bunch of things to play with on the fly if you buy the triple shots. Then you either get stuck with the toggle switch conundrum or end up using only one mode (i.e. then why not just pick a better single use pickup). Probably going to swap them out for a set of SD59s I have lying around or going back to the probuckers.

Keefoman

Reaction score
I think you're right.. I really wouldn't recommend these other than just for the sake of having them to try and experiment with sounds.

I'm still a bit lost as to their use. They sound ok, but are neither here nor there.

As P90s they kind of fail, but sound decent as a fat single coil - in the sense that if I had a strat and wanted a PAF style humbucker-esque tone. They are clean and have a nice top end sparkle. But... I had PAF style humbucker tones before the swap - without the hum too? :io:

The rail mode is horrible imho. They sound very low mid heavy. This is probably the side contributing the low mid hump in humbucker mode.

Humbucker in series has a weird lower mid hump which works well overdriven and in high gain. but then again, tons of better humbuckers with a better sounding mid boost. Humbucker in parallel - sounds a bit thin. Overall, the stock PBs sounded better.

That being said, it does give you a bunch of things to play with on the fly if you buy the triple shots. Then you either get stuck with the toggle switch conundrum or end up using only one mode (i.e. then why not just pick a better single use pickup). Probably going to swap them out for a set of SD59s I have lying around or going back to the probuckers.
Thanks for the thorough answer. Very informative! 👍

Raiyn

Reaction score
That being said, it does give you a bunch of things to play with on the fly if you buy the triple shots.
When I was building my G400, the Triple Shots let me cover a lot of ground with just the one guitar. Granted, you need to pick a pickup (or set) that "does the thing" in all of the positions, but it can be a useful tool if you're limited to one axe for whatever reason.

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
When I was building my G400, the Triple Shots let me cover a lot of ground with just the one guitar. Granted, you need to pick a pickup (or set) that "does the thing" in all of the positions, but it can be a useful tool if you're limited to one axe for whatever reason.
oh , the triple shots themselves are brilliant (esp as an alternative to push pulls - won't accidentally push in the knob when riding the vol or tone knob).

I guess the P Rails also fall into that category too if someone needed a swiss army knife guitar.

Latest posts