What music do you play?

Darkness

Reaction score
I haven't seen a thread on this, my apologies if one exists. I see that a lot of members here are very particular about their tone and setups, so it made me curious. What kind of music do you play?

Are there certain bands you cover? Do you write and play original music? Bonus "likes" if you post some performance.

I'm a complete noob, I have been learning basic Rolling Stones, Beatles, and other easy classic rock songs. I'd like to start learning songs from The Growlers and Allah-las. I like the surf rock sounds.

soulman969

Reaction score
Ha ha, be easier to list things I've never played. With the exception of heavy metal of any type and classical music I've covered about everything else including polkas and Latin jazz.

These days I'm more into simple roots rock, blues, blues rock, and r&b/soul.

Raiyn

Reaction score
I'm a complete noob, I have been learning basic Rolling Stones, Beatles, and other easy classic rock songs. I'd like to start learning songs from The Growlers and Allah-las. I like the surf rock sounds.
Admittedly, I'm a much better tech than a player, I can get my guitars to sound the way I want, but perhaps not as coherently as I'd like. It's always nice when SWMBO can recognize a song I'm butchering.
I've been fooling around with early Alice Cooper, Satisfaction, by the Stones, I've got post punk / goth stuff like the Cure and Siouxie and the Banshees on my "learn list" as well

It's funny you mention Surf Rock, as a kid (single digits) I was really into that stuff and now it's kinda of come full circle for me as stuff like "Walk Don't Run" and "Apache" are pretty high on the learn list.
I've found that I really like the Surfragettes, Messer Chups, and (partly for laughs) the Vampire Beach Babes.

Otto99

Reaction score
Pink Floyd and other Dino rock, classical, jazz, show tunes… oh, wait, you meant on guitar? Tortured cat sounds is about as far as I can go right now.

imnotcreative

Reaction score
i;m not that great of a player. i mostly play some punk ie Ramones, Dead Kennedys stuff like that. I've been practicing some Ventures and often times just strumming chords that come to mind and trying different variations and things just messing about to see what works. Also i've started some lessons recently. The only problem with that is my friend is teaching me (he is a qualified guitar/bass teacher) and often times we get sidetracked a bit and end up doing something else. I did get some excersises to do which i just have to do myself and when i need advice i'll ask him.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Also i've started some lessons recently. The only problem with that is my friend is teaching me (he is a qualified guitar/bass teacher) and often times we get sidetracked a bit and end up doing something else.
Man, do I know that feeling!

grinwer

Reaction score
i;m not that great of a player. i mostly play some punk ie Ramones, Dead Kennedys stuff like that. I've been practicing some Ventures and often times just strumming chords that come to mind and trying different variations and things just messing about to see what works. Also i've started some lessons recently. The only problem with that is my friend is teaching me (he is a qualified guitar/bass teacher) and often times we get sidetracked a bit and end up doing something else. I did get some excersises to do which i just have to do myself and when i need advice i'll ask him.
I know a guy who's been sidetracked for 35 years. )

imnotcreative

Reaction score
Man, do I know that feeling!

It's what happens when you share a lot of interests. For instance we are both fans of single malt whisky so whenever one of us has a new bottle ofcourse we have to do some tasting.
And he already has a couple of students throughout the week and doesn't always feel like teaching which is understandable. But i'm glad he is willing to help when i need some advice and excercises

imnotcreative

Reaction score
I know a guy who's been sidetracked for 35 years. )

When you're enjoying yourself whilst playing it's all good. As long as it doesn't annoy the neighbours too much.
Every time you play and practice you get a little better, it may take longer but eventually you get somewhere.
I'm glad i don't have to make a living with my music at this point haha

Raiyn

Reaction score
It's what happens when you share a lot of interests. For instance we are both fans of single malt whisky so whenever one of us has a new bottle ofcourse we have to do some tasting.
And he already has a couple of students throughout the week and doesn't always feel like teaching which is understandable. But i'm glad he is willing to help when i need some advice and excercises
I've all but legally adopted my teacher. Guy is like a brother to me.

Brian Krashpad

Reaction score
I mainly play (punk/rock and roll) originals, in my main band. Here's an album we did:

Brian Krashpad | Free Listening on SoundCloudhttps://soundcloud.com/brian-krashpad Brian Krashpad | Free Listening on SoundCloud

I also play in a weirdmusik/experimental/performance art collective, the leader of which is an old friend who is primarily a painter and visual artist. This is a live instrumental recording, probably recorded on a phone, of just messing about at a practice. It's probably the least weird thing we've ever done, and the closest to a normal "song." Just as one example of our more typical pieces, perhaps our most often-heard fan favorite is called "Yoko Ono Shopping For Oranges." And it's just as weird as that title might lead you to believe.

https://www.facebook.com/fishinmyheart/posts/10158667710938128

I also play in a traditional acoustic Irish music band. In that band I play banjo and mandolin, and do the very occasional backing vocal.

https://www.facebook.com/brian.krashpad/posts/10156248482493879

Listening-wise, besides opera, modern country, and more extreme metal or hardcore, I listen to a little of everything.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Am very much into Lawrence Welk too.....

Play that music funky white ah boy.:D
Hey, where else can you find accordions, towering boufants, and those Wunnerful wunnerful bubbles from ah da bubble machine.

That was an institution at my grandparents house before my grandfather passed.

Space1999

Reaction score
Moonbase Alpha: drifting in space on the moon
I’ll be serious.

I started to play guitar because of The Beatles. Then 70’s album rock.

Late night FM was such a treasure back then.

After that period it was just a few bright spots here and there I listened to.

If you ever get a chance, listen to Joni Mitchell playing live with the LA Express on an album called Miles of Aisles. Its one of my favorites.

Pat