Where’s Lancpudin?

Digger

Reaction score
I had my 4th Covid shot yesterday and didn’t feel it. It kept me awake most of the night though and I seem to recall that happened last time too.

Started talks with the local solar power company after that. More today.

Digger

Reaction score
Just in case any are interested, I found this quite informative clip this morning.

It relates to the fact that in a bloody big joint like we have here that population is so low and spread around the coastal fringes.

Note the claim that our Aboriginals have only been here 4,000 years is an error. There is concrete proof that they have been re 45,000 years, many believe 65,000. About 4,000 years ago a later influx brought language to the occupants and possibley introduced Dingoes.

Recently excavations in the west of my state have uncovered a shell midden which dates to 120,000 years old/ It may be from other causes but if not all existing beliefs will be thrown out the window. There may have been another race here before the Aboriginals even? Time will tell.

Lancpudn

Reaction score
I saw that YT vid yesterday & bookmarked it, Haven't had the time to watch it yet as the missus had me doing some DIY jobs in the bathroom.
Lawn mowing duties today for me whilst the weather is good.

Raiyn

Reaction score
This is an older article, but mostly still relevant.

Big takeaways: Oil is traded as a commodity. Disruption in supply regardless of whether we technically use "brand C" or not affects prices because it's all the same milkshake just different straws.
Oil companies, even if they wanted to drill more (they don't - read the article) can't produce more because of reduced capacity from hurricane damaged refineries and one that blew up.
Job growth, as well as folks returning to the office / deciding to travel after the pandemic increased demand on a weakened supply.

Again, commodity market - China is coming back to life and wanting some of that milkshake too.

Lancpudn

Reaction score
Just in case any are interested, I found this quite informative clip this morning.

It relates to the fact that in a bloody big joint like we have here that population is so low and spread around the coastal fringes.

Note the claim that our Aboriginals have only been here 4,000 years is an error. There is concrete proof that they have been re 45,000 years, many believe 65,000. About 4,000 years ago a later influx brought language to the occupants and possibley introduced Dingoes.

Recently excavations in the west of my state have uncovered a shell midden which dates to 120,000 years old/ It may be from other causes but if not all existing beliefs will be thrown out the window. There may have been another race here before the Aboriginals even? Time will tell.

Real interesting video of the history, weather conditions & geology of Australia mate. :cool:

I've been trying to get a face to face doctors appointment with my Doc for weeks, Telephoning is a waste of time as you don't get past the kamp kommandant receptionist.
It's not an ailment that can be really treated properly at the A&E hospital dept so I did some digging & found his personal email & emailed him, Low & behold he replied the same day :applause: Got an appointment for next Tuesday. :yesway:

Digger

Reaction score
Being sick of being inside I went out in the wind driven rain yesterday and split wood for an hour. Down to the big stuff now so I used the tractor where I rolled the logs into the bucket and took it to the splitter...only way I could move them! 4 rounds a time 4 loads, but I was getting between 14 and 20 pieces of firewood out of each. (one piece) As a 76 year old with a chronic bad back and 2 hernias I shouldn’t have attempted to lift that one over to the splitter but did it anyway. Man I’ve been hurting since too. I have to take the wood as it comes so I can get to whats behind it.

At least I got something done yesterday and estimate 3 to 4 weeks of firewood split, so not too shabby. I feel guilty if I don’t work!

It was so cold yesterday that I attempted to clean up in the shed and the cold water felt like it was boiling water!

Us Aussies are soft and just not used to proper cold days like that I guess?

Bored with inactivity we were going to see Top Gun, not so much because we want to but it was something to do. I was too sore after the wood so we might go today and have lunch afterwards.

Last edited:

soulman969

Reaction score

Guess ya' got room for one more huh? :D

Digger

Reaction score
Was going to see Top Gun at 11 this morning but youngest son Chris rang up this morning saying he hoped we hadn’t been to see it yet as he really wanted to come down and go see it with good old dad! 8 hours driving to see it with me? He’s a nice boy!

He's 10 minutes from the cinema where he lives!

Bugger it I was looking forward to lunch in town so were going anyway!

Lancpudn

Reaction score
Being sick of being inside I went out in the wind driven rain yesterday and split wood for an hour. Down to the big stuff now so I used the tractor where I rolled the logs into the bucket and took it to the splitter...only way I could move them! 4 rounds a time 4 loads, but I was getting between 14 and 20 pieces of firewood out of each. (one piece) As a 76 year old with a chronic bad back and 2 hernias I shouldn’t have attempted to lift that one over to the splitter but did it anyway. Man I’ve been hurting since too. I have to take the wood as it comes so I can get to whats behind it.

At least I got something done yesterday and estimate 3 to 4 weeks of firewood split, so not too shabby. I feel guilty if I don’t work!

It was so cold yesterday that I attempted to clean up in the shed and the cold water felt like it was boiling water!

Us Aussies are soft and just not used to proper cold days like that I guess?

Bored with inactivity we were going to see Top Gun, not so much because we want to but it was something to do. I was too sore after the wood so we might go today and have lunch afterwards.

It's a long time since I went to the pictures! Showing my age there :D 1972 in fact :wow:Me & the missus went in to get out of the rain to smooch on the back seats. 😍 I think it was 'Superfly' Curtis Mayfield soundtrack 😎

1654760310566.png

Digger

Reaction score
We did end up heading into town and having a beaut lunch at a small Malay/Chinese restaurant that was a bit spicy but well worth the trip.

Heading to Mallacoota tomorrow so a few things like tools in ute, fill with diesel, buy bait etc today. A couple lots of friends are already there so some nice social times ahead despite the wintery conditions.

soulman969

Reaction score
The chances of my remaining here in Colorado took a more positive turn today. I interviewed for a tech support/customer service position with Otterbox. The company my daughter and son-in-law work for.

I thought it went well but then I'm not the one who decides whether or not it did and whether I'll be offered a position. That knowledge won't come 'til sometime next week at the soonest but that can't be helped.

The job starts July 5th so between the time I'm offered the position and accept it I have very little time to secure a place to live suitable to host a work from home set up. Finding even rentals is a challenge these days.

So while I'd initially set tomorrow 6/10 as a final date for making a decision it looks like I'll need to push it out another week. If I wasn't fairly certain I'll be offered the position I'd probably have withdrawn from consideration but what was a 50/50 could now be an 70/30 or 80/20.

One way or another I know I'm leaving here so that's a positive anyway.

Lancpudn

Reaction score
Good luck with the job application Soulman, :yesway: I hope it all pans out the way you want.

Mowing duties again today plus tidying up all the tomato vines to get rid of the side shoots so all the energy goes into it growing straight up instead of all directions.
Lots of broad beans, peas, courgettes showing now & just noticed some of the squash plants have flowered.

Otto99

Reaction score
I’m going in for my “pre-hab” session in a bit, and as luck or fate would have it, last night the back and hip pain achieved a new level of “ow, damn that hurts” and forced me to sleep in my chair. It’s the only place I can park without it hurting. The Swedish do a really good job with physical ergonomics. I’d like to think when they see me hobbling in, they’ll rush me to the operating theatre, but I’d need to pay the deductible first, otherwise me and my pain can just bugger right off.

soulman969

Reaction score
Good luck my friend and may the things you want all work out for you.

Thanks Rob. One way or another they will it's just that I'm unaccustomed to having things still up in the air so close to my moving date. But here's where having a supportive family is nice to have.

My daughter offered to have me stay with them during a two week indoctrination/training period which is 100% done on line. That will buy me a little more time to get properly situated and set up for work in my own place. It will surely take some of the pressure off.

soulman969

Reaction score
Good luck with the job application Soulman, :yesway: I hope it all pans out the way you want.

Mowing duties again today plus tidying up all the tomato vines to get rid of the side shoots so all the energy goes into it growing straight up instead of all directions.
Lots of broad beans, peas, courgettes showing now & just noticed some of the squash plants have flowered.

Thank Ian. I think that either way it goes it will be OK. The worst part about the long move back to Wisconsin would be the expense. I've estimated that at around $2,000 and that's for a very small truck or van including the fuel of course which is now nearing $5 per gallon.

Digger

Reaction score
Thank Ian. I think that either way it goes it will be OK. The worst part about the long move back to Wisconsin would be the expense. I've estimated that at around $2,000 and that's for a very small truck or van including the fuel of course which is now nearing $5 per gallon.
I topped the ute up with diesel yesterday and it took 43 litres and cost $92. Thats over $7 a gallon roughly.

soulman969

Reaction score
I topped the ute up with diesel yesterday and it took 43 litres and cost $92. Thats over $7 a gallon roughly.
Yup, pretty crazy right now. We're nearing $5 per gallon for gas and nearing $6 for diesel. Much like the last 70s when the oil embargoes hit energy prices are also impacting inflation in a big way.

What the public needs to understand is that free market capitalism is what's in control of this not federal governments. Unless the government enacts price controls there's little else they can do except search for more supply.

The war in Ukraine is having it's impact but another factor is that during his tenure TFG forced the Saudis to lower their output as a benefit to Putin by threatening to withhold military aid from them. That has never been reversed and there's not much hope of it happening now.

The stage for all of this was set long ago and here in the US under the previous administration. COVID and supply chain issue have also contributed mightily to inflation when demand increased once COVID restrictions where set aside. We've actually allowed some of this to happen and consumers can help provided they reduce consumption.