Where’s Lancpudin?

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
My hearing is still OK despite many years of playing rock in clubs but listening over a headset that can easily blur certain phonetics can be a challenge. I tend to have customers spell things out whenever I'm unsure.

Digger

Reaction score
Those are looking very good Ian, well done mate!

With another unappealing weather day we are heading into town this morning to look at phones for the “Trouble & Strife”. It’s her birthday on the 1st.
Gael has an iPhone 6 and it’s time to get her upgraded! She thinks thats what she wants but hates technolgical change, like a lot of elderly people who have trouble adjusting. Wish me luck!

I ‘m with you all on the hearing issues and I have my share. Can’t operate without hearing aids at all now and the only way I can use the phone is if it goes through my aids via bluetooth but that does provide a solution. For years I've had serious tinnitus, sometimes described as the “Tinnitus from hell” by my audiologist. Along the way I’ve developed vertigo but not just one type, I have both BPPV and Meneures Disease. The BPPV is totally disabling when it hits me! Normally I have low level vertigo all the time and at times have difficulty getting around, despite being medicated.

This stems from a close explosion in Vietnam and is physical damage. My time frame was compressed into a few seconds but you can do the same damage by prolonged exposure to high levels of noise, like loud music.

Not looking for sympathy, just trying to make a point to younger players to protect their hearing lest they end up with problems like mine in later life. When I say later life, my difficluties started at around 54 and it aint fun!

Lancpudn

Reaction score
Missus has finished painting the ceiling :applause:but is now stripping wallpaper off,:shock: I hate that painting & decorating malarkey & conveniently still have a bad back to be of any use :thumb:

I said I'll do the laundry today as there's not much bending or stretching involved. ;)

That wheelie bin enclosure flat pack was mentioned too :ohno: I said that's a job for next Summer lol, I wouldn't mind if the garage gets flooded & those flat pack boxes sail away to be honest. Still cant get anybody out to repair the leak on the boiler yet. :rolleyes:

Raiyn

Reaction score
Not looking for sympathy, just trying to make a point to younger players to protect their hearing lest they end up with problems like mine in later life. When I say later life, my difficluties started at around 54 and it aint fun!
Not much you could've done differently, you were lucky to get out of that as good as you did.

Back in the day, I used to work around running jet engines and generator units. Even "doubled up" running foam earplugs under Mickey Mouse cans that ish was feel it in your bones loud - but it was more than some guys did.

Music events were nearly always foam earplugs until I discovered filters / attenuators which preserved the tone, just turned it down to where a guy could hear after the show / club night when he took them out.

I'm probably still going to have issues later, but hopefully my actions over the last 30+ years have mitigated the worst of it.

Otto99

Reaction score
My hearing is still OK despite many years of playing rock in clubs but listening over a headset that can easily blur certain phonetics can be a challenge. I tend to have customers spell things out whenever I'm unsure.
My hearing loss has several feet at which I can lay blame, including mine. First, the obvious rock and roll played, as Ziggy Stardust suggested, at the highest possible volume. Then let’s add the classical music, also played at high volumes (if you don’t have the fourth movement of Brahm’s 2nd symphony at 103 dB, you ain’t livin’), rock concerts, marching band, track events with loud cars, and my own loud cars back when we was fab. The one thing I never did was blast music through headphones, so at least there’s that. I’m seriously looking at the OTC earbuds, or wait another few months until I qualify for Medicare - assuming it’s still there by July next - and go to an audiologist for a proper fitting and to get what I really need to combat the tinnitus, or being the Harry Potter geek, the mandrakes squealing in my ears. The OTC things would at least help with the phone and so I can say “What?” a bit less to the bride.

Lancpudn

Reaction score
Finally got a young chap out to fix the boiler, The leak got worse over the course of yesterday so went looking through the local tradesmen paper in the next town over, He said I'll have a look at it but it will be later this evening. Turned up at 8:00pm & fixed it within 20 minutes :thumb:
I'll have to book it in for it's annual service another time with him.

Lousy wet weather again so shopping duties to get me out of the house otherwise I'd be press ganged into decorating duties :D

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Finally got a young chap out to fix the boiler, The leak got worse over the course of yesterday so went looking through the local tradesmen paper in the next town over, He said I'll have a look at it but it will be later this evening. Turned up at 8:00pm & fixed it within 20 minutes :thumb:
I'll have to book it in for it's annual service another time with him.

Lousy wet weather again so shopping duties to get me out of the house otherwise I'd be press ganged into decorating duties :D
Yeah on the boiler repair but boo on the weather although I guess it does have one advantage. :D

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
I did weed whacking and poisoning this morning and then we had a lovely time with our best mates over lunch.

Bit achey tonight but at least it wasn’t raining!
Love that term "weed whacking". Sound like a Mafia kinda thing where they talk in code never saying what they mean but knowing it's meaning will be understood.

Hey Pauli, you'se know where I can get some uh cheap labor. Got some weeds that need some uh....wackin' or somethin'.

Oh yeah. I know two guys whose real good whackers. Weeds are their especiality.

Raiyn

Reaction score
The OTC things would at least help with the phone and so I can say “What?” a bit less to the bride.
Some would say that folks tune out the frequencies of their partner's voice when they're otherwise focused on something. It becomes part of the background until they capture your attention.

If it happens whenever you're in conversation.... yeah get that looked at.

Lancpudn

Reaction score
Yeah on the boiler repair but boo on the weather although I guess it does have one advantage. :D

Back to square one with the boiler repair :mad: I left the bowl under the boiler just in case & this morning it's almost full of water again.
No more budget at present to get it looked at again, Left messages on this companies phones & emails but no reply, I give up. They were bleddy expensive too.

On a brighter note it was baking day again & I made four large pork pies :thumb:

jLfeWiKl.jpg

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
I didn't know quite where to put this one but it was shared in another forum I'm a member of. Given our ahem......little disturbance over the last weekend I thought it might be apropos to share it here as well.

1669281949018.png

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Back to square one with the boiler repair :mad: I left the bowl under the boiler just in case & this morning it's almost full of water again.
No more budget at present to get it looked at again, Left messages on this companies phones & emails but no reply, I give up. They were bleddy expensive too.

On a brighter note it was baking day again & I made four large pork pies :thumb:

jLfeWiKl.jpg
Yum.....wish I lived on your block Ian. Can I bring my own sunshine though? ;)

Digger

Reaction score
Big, big day yesterday! We got stuck into cleaning up around the back of Gael’s studio. There's been a wood box there slowly disintergrating for years and that had the effect of attracting any old crap that we were too lazy to deal with I’m ashamed to say.

We got stuck in yesterday and started designating things for disposal or storage and getting it away. Finally I ran 2 drag chains off the tractor into the carport and wrapped up the wood box, which I couldn’t move and dragged it to where I could get to it. The only way I could get it on the bucket was with a crowbar and much effort and my first attempt at lifting saw it fall off so I got Gael on the hydraulics and as it raised I lifted and stopped it from falling forward until it reached an angle where it stayed put. I then roped it on just in case a bump saw it fall off mid way to the burn pile.

(Luv my tractor!)

Once deposited on the pile I lit the whole lot up and am happy to report mission completed. Well completed other than for the rest of the clean up which continues today. It’s a job I’ve been dreading but am happy it’s started.

I was a total wreck for the rest of the day as the whole affair was very physical and more to come today as there is still a lot of cleaning up to do and finally gravel had to be shovelled up and brought down to repair that area. It feels good to have made a start! though!

Lancpudn

Reaction score
I think the gods are conspiring against me lately! I unlocked the front door as I do everyday & as I pulled the key out the tumbler assembly came out & half a dozen pieces flew out :shock: I'll have to find out if just the barrel tumbler can be replaced or I have to buy a new handle assembly.

Latest posts