"Where Does The Tone Come From In An Electric Guitar"

Raiyn

Reaction score
How about solid copper wires for the harness of pots ?
You *could* do that but I don't think anyone would want to, and there's no way the factory would ever do it.
As I mentioned above I use an 18ga buss wire for my ground and that's a solid tinned wire, but I don't always use it for the entirety of the ground circuit.

The process of straightening the wire, shaping and cutting for the application would be too labor intensive especially if you want it looking nice.
1637866174594.jpg
Straightened, three bends and flush cut for something like an inch of run.

I typically reserve the longer runs for Fender-y guitars where the controls are mounted to a plate or a pickguard, usually in an unobstructed straight line, and easily accessible should a repair be needed. In something with a cavity mounted system I normally use a short piece using the methodology in the video below and run stranded from it.

I also tend to add lock washers to everything I build (looking at you manufacturers) so that things have less of a chance of moving and breaking something.
20210702_211112 (1).jpg

Forming the signal wires to look nice on their shorter runs would be too much of a PITA compared to just using some new stiff push back if neat routing is your goal or something more flexible for short jumpers.

1637866317192.jpg
Straightened, five bends, leveling with lock washers, plus time deciding how I wanted to approach it and a few prototypes. If it wasn't my guitar and I was on the clock, there's no way I do this.

TL;DR
Don't use solid wire for your signal circuit. Ground maybe.

Last edited:

Raiyn

Reaction score
ground buss.jpg
A zoomed in view of grounds going to the buss.

Just because I geek out a bit on such things. The wire is formed in a hook shape and soldered in place. You don't need a full wrap. NASA calls for between 180° to 270° of wrap and if that's good enough for flight it's good enough in a guitar.
613-01.gif

Latest posts