WTAF???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Otto99

Reaction score
14 elementary school children and a teacher gunned down. Others may not survive their injuries. Shooter was 18 years old. Not making any kind of statement on guns, just saying God damn it, this doesn’t happen anywhere but here. It makes me sick. Yeah, yeah, where were the parents, what ever happened to crazy as a reason, etc. This doesn’t happen weekly anywhere else on the globe, I’m sure there’s shitty parents worldwide, and maybe some kids need more mental health care globally than others, but y’all don’t get schools full of under 10 year olds shot dead. That’s the American Way. And I’m weeping.

soulman969

Reaction score
I am not opposed to owning firearms and I realize I may be stepping on someone's toes with this so please forgive my boldness but these are only the mass shootings in TX alone during the past 4 1/2 years and yet many don't support any kind of gun control legislation at all and gun sales have soared despite this. We need some limits now.

Sutherland Springs church shooting in November 2017 (26 dead, 22 injured), the May 2018 shooting at Santa Fe High School (10 dead, 13 wounded), the August 2019 shooting at an El Paso Walmart (23 dead, 23 injured) and the Midland-Odessa shooting spree — also August 2019 — that left seven dead and 25 wounded.

That's 66 dead and 83 wounded some of whom may have died from those wounds as well or at the very least may have been so seriously injured that their lives will never be the same yet we continue to let a very corrupt NRA and the arms manufacturers control any legislation via buying off legislators with campaign contributions and other perks.

When is it gonna end?

soulman969

Reaction score
What is grossly underestimated is education. Rarely these shooter have a diploma.

Yup. These last two shootings in Buffalo and in Texas were done by 18 year olds one of whom had his head filled with all kinds of fears by sites that promote lies and misinformation. One thing we seriously need to do right now is to find ways to limit gun ownership by age and also make parents liable if their teen gets a gun and shoots people.

My 18 year old brain had not fully matured and I'm 100% certain I was seriously messed up about some things as well but 50 years ago we didn't have the access to firearms that a teenager does today. Hell I just watched a video of a company selling a machine that makes ghost guns. If you have the $$$ you can make your own at home now.

Whitefang

Reaction score
Yup. These last two shootings in Buffalo and in Texas were done by 18 year olds one of whom had his head filled with all kinds of fears by sites that promote lies and misinformation. One thing we seriously need to do right now is to find ways to limit gun ownership by age and also make parents liable if their teen gets a gun and shoots people.
They are gonna try the parents of the kid that did the shooting up here in Oxford, MI. He got the gun he used as an early Christmas present from them! :rolleyes:

Whitefang

soulman969

Reaction score
They are gonna try the parents of the kid that did the shooting up here in Oxford, MI. He got the gun he used as an early Christmas present from them! :rolleyes:

Whitefang
I've read about that and it's about time they did make parents responsible for the violence a child does especially when they know their kid has mental health issues. They could have taken him out of school that day but chose not to so they could return to work.

The other people who need to bear responsibility are guys like Tucker Carlson when killers are using his nightly tropes as their reasons for mass murder. To me this is no different than claiming TFG did nothing to encourage the Jan. 6th insurrection. The phuc he didn't.

It's 2022 and we've got far too many people out there with firearms pretending like it's the old west of the late 1800s where disputes were settled with a six gun. The sheer number of these school shootings done by teenagers is astounding. What's wrong with this picture?

I have friends who lost a child and others who were seriously impacted by the Columbine shooting which happened only 3 miles from where I lived while I had two young daughters in middle school just a mile or two from there. So even if a person isn't directly affected that impact is still there and still felt every time I read about one more school shooting.

soulman969

Reaction score
This morning I read comments from the mother of the kid who shot up that elementary school in Uvalde, TX. She said that he son gets angry but he's not a monster.

While I can sympathize with her feeling about her son to a certain extent because mother's are like that what I would say in return is that he was surely capable of becoming one because what he did was about as monstrous as it gets. It was cold blooded and planned. He wrote about it on social media before leaving to do it. What else would you call it?

Prior to that he wounded his own grandmother with guns he'd bought only a few days earlier just a day or so after he turned 18. How does an 18 years old buy two AR-15s just like that? Where did he get the $$$ to buy them. They aren't cheap. Why was he living with his grandparents and not his own mother. Mom, you didn't even know your own son.

Otto99

Reaction score
This morning I read comments from the mother of the kid who shot up that elementary school in Uvalde, TX. She said that he son gets angry but he's not a monster.

While I can sympathize with her feeling about her son to a certain extent because mother's are like that what I would say in return is that he was surely capable of becoming one because what he did was about as monstrous as it gets. It was cold blooded and planned. He wrote about it on social media before leaving to do it. What else would you call it?

Prior to that he wounded his own grandmother with guns he'd bought only a few days earlier just a day or so after he turned 18. How does an 18 years old buy two AR-15s just like that? Where did he get the $$$ to buy them. They aren't cheap. Why was he living with his grandparents and not his own mother. Mom, you didn't even know your own son.
I read he moved in with his grandmother a couple of months ago after arguing with his mother over the WiFi.

Whitefang

Reaction score
As I've stated elsewhere...

Forget systematic racism, slavery, the internment of Japanese-Americans during WWII, the attempted genocide of Native Americans, legalized abortion., homelessness...

This epidemic of killing children in schools is the biggest shame and tragedy of this country.
Whitefang

BGood

Reaction score
Today, one common excuse for stupidity we can hear when asked why did you do it ? Because I could.

soulman969

Reaction score
I read he moved in with his grandmother a couple of months ago after arguing with his mother over the WiFi.
More on this today. The Mom apparently has drug issues. The boy had a speech impediment and a lisp and was heckled and bullied at school. He had support from a good friend but he moved away leaving the kid alone to cope.

So may kids out there just like this that are victims of bullying and distant unavailable parents and some like this kid are a ticking time bomb ready to explode. The Columbine guys had a similar situation to deal with.

Gov Abbott says we need more attention given to mental health issues not gun control yet TX rejected expanding Medicaid to cover those issues. These people are useless liars talking out of both sides of their mouths.

Cruz says have just one guarded entrance and exit as if that's gonna work. They aren't the dumb they just play dumb because their constituents are less intelligent than they are and will lap it right up and keep on voting for them.

I'm disgusted by the hypocrisy.

soulman969

Reaction score
I will not comment due the political nature of the subject, but if anyone wants to discus it privately, feel free to message me.
I believe we're way beyond just politics here any longer. This is about protecting school children who have no business being terrorized like this from being murdered and maimed for life.

It shouldn't even be a political issue. It's an issue of human rights.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
I believe we're way beyond just politics here any longer. This is about protecting school children who have no business being terrorized like this from being murdered and maimed for life.

It shouldn't even be a political issue. It's an issue of human rights.
But any solution will, by its very nature, be soaked in politics.

I will venture so far as to say here that it was much, much easier to get guns when I was young, and mass shootings were almost unheard of.

When I was a kid, you get a gun mail-order.

When I was in high school, about 75% of the vehicles in the parking lot (both students & faculty) were pick-ups; about 85% of those had gun racks; about 95% of those had a rifle & a shotgun in them - many had a handgun and/or bow hanging from the bottom. Everything was loaded, and nobody locked their doors. Nobody shot anybody. It seems the stricter the gun laws, the more shootings. I do not say this to imply causation; I only note correlation. And that correlation baffles me - I have no answers.

soulman969

Reaction score
But any solution will, by its very nature, be soaked in politics.

Regrettably you're probably right but it should not be. Both parties must come to an agreement that it's gone too far. All this BS outta Greg Abbott about dealing with mental illness is just plain old fashion crap.

I won't name parties here but when the issue of more funding for stuff like mental illness comes up that all goes in the circular file as well so it's all just talk. It's not a viable solution and they damn well know it.

Besides, it's far easier to get assault rifles out of the hands of those who should never have one that it is to get all of the mentally disturbed people off the streets or get them the help they need. They just won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.